PDA

View Full Version : Overnight USPS from CA to MI ?!?

Matt Meiser
12-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Does USPS actually move stuff faster during the holidays? I bought an additional battery for my cordless tool set on Friday evening on eBay. The seller sent me a shipping notice Saturday afternoon and it was scanned in California Saturday afternoon. I just checked and it will be delivered today! Since they don't operate Sundays I would pretty much call that overnight. I don't think UPS or Fedex would have gotten it to me this quick even with "overnight" service since it was shipped Saturday.

I had a similar experience with a breaker I ordered last week--bought at lunch time Tuesday and delivered Thursday afternoon from TX.

Bonnie Campbell
12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I've had great luck with fast deliveries by USPS. In the past 10 years I can think of only one box that didn't get delivered within three days.

When I get something by UPS, even if it makes it to the local area, they won't deliver until the 'projected date'. I've seen stuff sit for 4 or 5 days because 'it wasn't supposed to get here yet'. Go figure....

Thomas Hotchkin
12-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Matt
Just in case you didn't know, all first class, and next day mail, goes by Fed Ex city to city no door to door. They have USPS contract for that type of mail. I have hear they wish they didn't have it. Tom

Brian Tymchak
12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I saw the mail truck in our development yesterday so I believe they are working the Sunday prior to Christmas.

Brian Elfert
12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Matt
Just in case you did know, all first class, and next day mail, goes by Fed Ex. They have USPS contract for that type of mail. I have hear they wish they didn't have it. Tom

I thought it was just priority and overnight that goes by plane most of the time? There are even Fedex drop boxes at most post offices which makes no sense since Fedex and USPS compete on overnight and two day.

Brian Elfert
12-19-2011, 2:07 PM
Something shipped Tuesday by Priority should arrive in Thursday's mail. The day after it goes in the mail is considered day one and the delivery day is day two. I'm sure the USPS has many extra people working and they are getting mail through the system as fast as possible.

I ordered something Saturday afternoon from Amazon. It is being delivered by UPS today even though I didn't pay for shipping. I was expecting it on Wednesday.

Bill ThompsonNM
12-19-2011, 2:11 PM
I've always found service near Xmas to be faster. Presumably the extra employees make a difference despite the volume.

Paul Saffold
12-19-2011, 3:30 PM
That FedEx must be a local contract cause it's not done around here. The USPS does make local deliveries for UPS and DHL.

Van Huskey
12-19-2011, 3:45 PM
USPS brings in a lot of contract workers, trucks and planes during the hoiday season and often you do see it speed up the weeks leading up to this week and normally it drops off to normal speed during the last minute rush.

Rick Moyer
12-19-2011, 5:16 PM
I've always found service near Xmas to be faster. Presumably the extra employees make a difference despite the volume.

I think the carriers will sometimes, as Christmas draws near, put some packages on planes even when they are not "overnight" shipments if they have the space. I was told this once by someone who worked for one of the carriers.

Dave Lehnert
12-19-2011, 6:27 PM
Not sure about USPS but have a friend who works for UPS loading trucks. He normally works 4 hrs days. Right now he works 12 hr days.

Larry Edgerton
12-19-2011, 6:44 PM
I always request that my small parcels be shipped USPS.

It is by far the best as far as I am concerned. FedEx second, and UPS almost out of the picture.

Larry

Myk Rian
12-19-2011, 9:54 PM
I think FedEx and USPS are the same company sometimes.
I've had things shipped FedEx, and delivered by USPS.
If a package catches a ride by air freight, it's entirely possible it can be delivered in 2 days.

I always request that my small parcels be shipped USPS.

It is by far the best as far as I am concerned. FedEx second, and UPS almost out of the picture.

Larry
Seems to be the other way around downstate. I prefer UPS.

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2011, 8:49 PM
UPS starts to 'suck' as soon as it crosses the border into Canada. Overnight, seems to be two days.. And always 'extra' charges for some lackie to walk across the hall with customs papers.. Normally i'll place a order with Epilog laser before noon, and DHL had it in my hands with-in 24 hours or less. My Eplilog order shipped UPS left the plant on the 19th ,they called me this morning to advise me of their 'extra' fee, and it's 'supposed' to be here tomorrow.. All this for a $90.00 shipping fee Plus the extra charge for the custom clearance .. All that was included with DHL and at a better price..

Bill Cunningham
12-22-2011, 9:47 PM
My UPS shipment 'finally' arrived today.. 3 days for a 'overnight' shipment.. At least they confirmed I will get my shipping cost of about 85.00 refunded..

Brian Elfert
12-23-2011, 12:09 PM
That FedEx must be a local contract cause it's not done around here. The USPS does make local deliveries for UPS and DHL.

Fedex isn't making the final deliveries on Priority Mail. Fedex is using its fleet of plans to haul Priority mail from airport to airport for the USPS.