PDA

View Full Version : Removing dust nibs in final coat of waterlox original?

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
12-19-2011, 7:46 AM
I love the smell of tung oil in the morning but my first waterlox experience is still not yet complete, the final coats need to have some dust nibs removed...

I have applied 3-coats of waterlox original on RSWO horizontal and vertical surfaces that are fast becoming a bookcase. I need to remove the dust nibs from the final coat but I don't have enough film build to call this "rubing out". Can I simply take some dry #0000 wool and VERY LIGHTLY work the finish to get the nibs out or will I need some lube (mineral spirits, paste wax, ect). Also, should i work with the grain or in a circular motion?

Thanks

Scott Holmes
12-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Waterlox is not tung oil. Waterlox is a high quality varnish made from tung oil. The oil and the resin (phenolic) are combined the new molecule is called VARNISH.

3 coats should be enough build to buff it with steelwool, if you want a satin look (with the grain) or a brown paper bag crumpled up and wet with mineral spirits to buff the nibs off without knocking down the shine. There is just enough clay in the paper bag to buff the nibs off the surface.

Chad Bender
12-19-2011, 4:15 PM
I use a lot of waterlox. Steelwool will knock down a lot of the gloss. I typically want a satin finish, without the bother of using a topcoat of waterlox satin. After the finish has cured a couple of weeks (at least), I'll buff it in a circular pattern with 0000 steel wool and a bit of soapy water for lube. I have a little plastic ketchup bottle from the restaurant supply place that lets me apply water directly in front of the steel wool. Works like a charm.

If you're looking to keep the shink, Scott's paperbag trick sounds interesting. Although be aware that in my experience waterlox automatically looses a lot of its shine after ~6 months.

ben searight
12-19-2011, 6:22 PM
The paper bag works like charm, I haven't used it on Waterlox, but it works well on shellac, NC lacquer, and target em6000.

Howard Acheson
12-25-2011, 6:10 PM
If all you need to do is get rid of dust nibs, you can use heavy kraft paper (brown paper bags). Cut off a 6x6 piece, fold it and crinkle it until it is soft. Keep unfolding and re-folding and crinkling until it is soft and pliable. Use it as would sandpaper but with only light rubbing. This should remove the dust nibs without damaging the surface.