PDA

View Full Version : New Drill Press Gloat / Fun Story

Timothy Wolf
12-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I finally listened to what everyone was saying about drill presses a few weeks back and decided to buy a nice old well made Drill Press rather than a brand new overpriced problem waiting to happen. I listed my Jet Drill press on Criagslist for $300 I figured I would have to come down a little on my price but got multiple offers instead. I sold it within a few days and then bought a Sprunger Drill Press for $100 which was in great condition and rust free, one of the guys that was interested in my Jet Drill press still needed a Drill press so I offered the Sprunger to him for $250 he bought it. Then I went and bought a good Craftsman King Seeley Drill press that sat in the same spot in a garage for 53 years. I'm not usually into Craftsman tools but this is a thing of beauty the price was $125. The spindle is so smooth that with a small bit I think it could unclog a constipated tick without injuring it, (if you could get the tick to sit still long enough). I then went out and bought a Woodpeckers drill press table at Woodcraft with some of the extra $ and spent the rest on my family for Christmas this year! I got some pictures of the drill presses when I got them but haven't been able to take new ones yet (my shop is a mess right now). Merry Christmas Everyone!:D

Larry Edgerton
12-19-2011, 6:31 AM
My dad has a Craftsmen of that vintage and it is an awesome drill press, you did well.

I have a mammoth old Walker Turner with a fixed drilling table made for steel work, has the oiling galley that runs to a pump and the head goes up and down. Has a threader setup and is reversable, works awesome, but is three phase. Bought it for $250. I had a WT floor model but let my brother talk me out of it, silly me.....

Great deal and adds character to your shop.

Larry

Mike Wilkins
12-19-2011, 11:38 AM
I am still trying to get the picture of a constipated tick out of my head. Thanks for the Monday morning laugh and congrats on the old iron.
I have a 1974 Rockwell DP and it is rock solid.