PDA

View Full Version : A quick 150 lb 2" thick workbench 24" x 96" for $250

Mike Kelsey
12-18-2011, 10:30 PM
As I recently posted I bought a HF workbench to "practice" with during the winter. I put it together this weekend. It does seem well-built very sturdy but I was concerned about it's lightness for hand planing. My wife got excited about it thought she could use one , suggested I look into a "better" one. I inquired/ investigated the comparable Sjoberg Nortic plus workbenches. They are double to triple the cost but, my guess is well-built. They actually weigh less than the HF bench but again, come with two vises.

Then my wife tells me, unfortunately, the HF bench won't fit the designated space. Short story shorter, I stumbled across the Sears 24"x96"x 1 1/2" butcher block on sale (discounted once in cart) for $100 . So I'll be putting that on top of the HF bench, beef up as necessary, maybe the Roubo bench will wait. My wife is pleased as she looks at the space where her kitchen cabinets will be..........

Chuck Nickerson
12-19-2011, 1:50 PM
In many ways, the best bench is the one that lets you work now. I love my split-top Roubo, but I got a lot of work done on a much cheesier bench over the years.

Heck, I started this whole woodworking journey with a Shopsmith.

Mike Kelsey
12-19-2011, 3:24 PM
Chuck,

I really appreciate what you said. Its better to be using the tools I have, rather than thinking: "I need to build this thing or that first" & end up stifled about doing anything.....

In many ways, the best bench is the one that lets you work now. I love my split-top Roubo, but I got a lot of work done on a much cheesier bench over the years.

James Owen
12-19-2011, 3:52 PM
Chuck,

I really appreciate what you said. Its better to be using the tools I have, rather than thinking: "I need to build this thing or that first" & end up stifled about doing anything.....

Exactly...the woodworking version of paralysis by analysis..... :D

Niels Cosman
12-19-2011, 4:19 PM
Hey Mike,

Have you gotten the sears top yet?
I wonder what species it is and how flat it'll be. That's a pretty good price for 8'x2'
I have been thinking about building a smallish-portablish bench for my apartment and I wanted to do it as quickly as possible with the least amount of material prep. I was thinking cutting two butcherblock tops in half and doubling them up
for a quick knockdown split top frenchy-bench. I have to be able to get the bench up two flights of stair and then up a little ladder to a loft.

Mike Kelsey
12-19-2011, 4:43 PM
No, I just ordered it, below is the Sears link with reviews. The 6' is on sale (in the cart) for $85

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6%27-butcher-block-work-surface/p-00914961000P

glenn bradley
12-19-2011, 5:49 PM
I too am interested in how it looks once in your hands. The weight is curious and the pic shows what looks like veneer along the outer edge which is not really of consequence, just curious. My current bench is 4 laminations of 3/4" MDF that I thought sould be temporary. . . still going strong. If the Sears top is reasonably flat it could make a quick and resilient outfeed table top too.

Jack Curtis
12-19-2011, 8:07 PM
Just for kicks I checked out what Sears has labelled "butcher block" tables, etc. I didn't see a single butcher block, with the end grain vertical, they were all made with the edge grain up as the surface. Doesn't matter for your bench, Mike, but it sure does for butchering/food prep stations.

Jack

Niels Cosman
12-19-2011, 8:48 PM
it looks like solid wood, but not much like maple. maybe oak or birch. Ikea actually sells some solid wood oak and birch tops that i've considered. But the sears version would be cheaper.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20057397/#/60057395
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00086414/#/30086417

Rob Harris
12-21-2011, 3:43 AM
I've bought the Ikea countertop in beech, 73"x39"x1.5", from their slightly damaged area for 1/2 price. Good, solid, and heavy, but the center has a low spot from a bad glue up, so it will take a lot of planing to flatten the top. Aside from that, not bad material.

Jack Curtis
12-21-2011, 4:06 AM
I've bought the Ikea countertop in beech, 73"x39"x1.5", from their slightly damaged area for 1/2 price. Good, solid, and heavy, but the center has a low spot from a bad glue up, so it will take a lot of planing to flatten the top. Aside from that, not bad material.

Maybe it's time to think about a nice center tool tray, round or square? :)

Jack

Jerome Hanby
12-21-2011, 11:09 AM

That sounds like the Numueer (spelling?) that I just sliced in half longwise to stack and glue into a 3" thick top. That might be a good way to kill that low spot...

Rob Harris
12-24-2011, 1:19 PM
That's a good idea. I currently have a Southern Yellow Pine top over a 36" wide solid core door. It's cheap and functional, but has a central tool tray that's about 10" wide that I don't find very useful. My thought was to screw the Ikea slab to the door giving me a top thickness a bit over 3", cut off the overhang and use it as a top rail, giving me an aircraft carrier bench top.

Good idea to rip out the low spot and either glue the halves together or leave a slot. The cut out middle strip will be a lot easier to plane, too.

Bruce Haugen
12-24-2011, 1:47 PM

I can't begin to count the number of projects done with the help of a Shopsmith. Heck, it's the only bench I had for 10 years. It's still in use some 30 years later.