PDA

View Full Version : Mortar & Pestle

Lee Koepke
12-18-2011, 9:33 PM
A gift for a friend of mine, she asked for a mortar & pestle to grind up spices and such ... not having done one before, thought I'd try. I used maple, no finish on the pestle or the inside, BLO and Mylands Friction Polish on the outside. I didnt do any research and went off my gut instinct (and memories from high school chemistry class) for the design.

Comments welcome!

tom martin
12-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Nicely done. Maple is an excellent choice for wood for this project-your friend should be pleased! Is the indent carved or off center turned?
Thanks for sharing,
Tom

Donny Lawson
12-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Nice job on the set. I think it will do a good job on the spices.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2011, 10:13 PM
My grandparents had a big mortar and pestle that was a lot older than them. I always thought I would turn one but have yet to get it done. Nice work on this one Lee. She will love to get it and put it to use!

John Keeton
12-19-2011, 6:39 AM
Sure has been a while since I have seen one of these! Nice work, Lee. I think the only consideration is to have the curvature of the interior of the pestle match the rounded end of the mortar.

Greg Just
12-19-2011, 7:02 AM
Nice job Lee. Should make a great gift. Happy Holidays

Michelle Rich
12-19-2011, 7:05 AM
super gift.. I luv seeing useful items posted.

Lee Koepke
12-19-2011, 8:30 PM
Nicely done. Maple is an excellent choice for wood for this project-your friend should be pleased! Is the indent carved or off center turned?
Thanks for sharing,
Tom
Thanks everyone ...

Tom, I will be honest ......... the indention is what wood turners call a "nasty catch". I was trying to shape the bottom to more closely fit the pestle like John K suggested, but I was looking more at the spinny piece than the gouge and BOOOM. After I caught my breath, I saw an opportunity the make it more of a 'pouring spout'. So that part I dremeled out so it looked more uniform.

She LOVED it by the way, so its worth it! I did tell her if it didnt grind correctly or leaves spices unground, I will fix it for her. It actually fits better in the bottom than it looks.

I really like making useful items. I have another request for a butter mold, so that may be a new challenge for me!

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2011, 8:49 PM
Really a nice piece Lee. I made one for a friend of mine who owns a pharmacy.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 10:51 PM
I've thought of turning one of these sets but just never seem to follow through on the idea! Hopefully, when I do, it will turn out as nice as yours did! By the way - I like the custom pouring lip idea!!