PDA

View Full Version : Cake Pedestal (And second project)

Rob Price
12-18-2011, 8:53 PM
This is from a recent issue of Wood magazine. I had been contemplating a lathe for the past year, I flagged this since they mentioned it was a 'great beginner project.' When I finally bought the lathe I knew I wanted this to be one of my first attempts- mainly because they spelled out how to do it, and they posted a video how to do it as well. I decided to laminate it because I didn't have any stock thick enough and wide enough to make the base out of one piece. I figured, if I have to have glue lines, I might as well try a laminated blank. I didn't appreciate at the time, that doing it this way, meant all my center holes had to be PERFECT since the lines run up the spindle. Oh well, I think it turned out okay. I used African Mahogany, Walnut, and Maple. This was also my first time using General Finishes Woodturner's finish. Assuming it holds up to use, it's my new favorite finish. I didn't even finish on the lathe. I just wiped on thin coats (they dry in less than 5 minutes in my heated basement) sanding in between coats. I worked my way through my micro mesh pads two at a time between coats. The final coat is 'as is.' I haven't rubbed it or buffed it yet, I'm gonna let it cure for a week.

I have another set of blanks glued up- this one is for my mom, the next will be for the wife. I'm going to change a few things on the spindle, I don't like the notch they have at the top, it really can't be seen and it creates a tight spot to clean up the top cove- I had a catch and had a big chunk fly off the top. It glued back on, and since the platter is up there you can't see it, but I'm leaving it out next time, just a gentle flow from the top cove the the bead on the base.

I made the platter on the router, I couldn't get it mounted flat with the spur drive center. I'm thinking next time using the center screw on my chuck, and using the largest set of jaws I have to keep the platter sqaure. Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GfPQ42YeszA/Tu6VaBDdgzI/AAAAAAAABfg/KIU0NwLRJDc/s640/IMG_1311.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-bOf9qv33qFE/Tu6VZG7uiaI/AAAAAAAABfY/MKaj2tPWwmw/s640/IMG_1296.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CRZIevOxmx8/Tu6VagbW9aI/AAAAAAAABfo/kYQQKz78l5c/s640/IMG_1312.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4uC0BaLOJlI/Tu6VbY3f-7I/AAAAAAAABfw/4bQdXOs0-Ck/s640/IMG_1316.JPG

Rob Price
12-18-2011, 9:01 PM
Here's the entire spindle, you can see where a chunk went flying. If the top looks a little rotated, that's because it is, it's actually not glued up yet. I think it will make the trip to my mom's house better un-assembled and then I'll glue it up there. With 4 kiddos, the car's gonna be full, and I don't want this getting banged around and breaking.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MxGp48-yDv8/Tu6aBCwSKYI/AAAAAAAABf8/35pqKWW0StQ/s640/IMG_1306.jpg

Jamie Donaldson
12-18-2011, 9:03 PM
Wow, that's a very ambitious and well made project for only your second turning. I can tell the pull of the vortex is very strong!

Roger Chandler
12-18-2011, 9:43 PM
Woooo hooooo! That is super for a beginner..............you must have a natural talent for this spinny craft..........keep 'em coming Rob..........this is real nice!

Baxter Smith
12-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice work Rob! As far as your question on holding the platter goes, am I correct in assuming you want to try and take flat stock you have glued up, round it and cut a decorative edge without doing anything to the top surface?

Rob Price
12-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words. Feel free to offer critique as well. I'm a LONG way from being a Jedi- but I do feel the vortex. I spent two hours tonight with some soothing music on in the background, practicing with the skew chisel and gouge, trying to get more comfortable with them. I have never done any type of freehand WW'ing before. I'm very much a 'set my fence up to within' .00001" parallel to the blade' kind of guy, so this freehand skinny stuff is different but I like it!!!

Baxter- you are correct. I had flattened the blank on my planer to a little over 3/4" thick. I just needed to round it out and cut the rabbet on top and the decorative edge on the bottom. I spent about 10 minutes making a jig for my router table to cut the circle, and then the rest was done with bearing bits, so it really wasn't a big deal, I just wondered how I would go about it on the lathe, it would give me more flexibility with the profile, not to mention easier sanding of the edge. I had to cut a 1" hole for the spindle tenon on the bottom, so I could chuck it up with the screw center first, or use some other method. What would you do?

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2011, 12:31 AM
That is a really nice piece for a second turning. Really nicely done.

Billy Tallant
12-19-2011, 3:39 AM
Very nice job! Keep the pictures coming...

Michelle Rich
12-19-2011, 6:37 AM
WOW amazing 2nd project. Well done. Your idea of how to hold it, seems reasonable. anything to keep it from wobbling!

John Keeton
12-19-2011, 7:12 AM
Rob, that is some excellent work! Really! Great selection of woods, and good form on the pedestal shaft. You are a natural for this - I bet we see some great work coming from your lathe!

David E Keller
12-19-2011, 7:33 AM
Fantastic! I like your plan to turn the top... A glue block would allow you to turn the piece without sacrificing any of the thickness.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 8:10 AM
Very nice and well thought out project Rob! Turning platters can be done in a variety of ways... with David's suggestion of a glue block probably the safest route. You can also use a jam chuck... which is just pressing the platter between the headstock and tailstock with enough force to keep it from slipping. At this point, I would probably use your router to cut the platter and then mount the blank on the lathe using the jam chuck method so you can sand it. Good luck!!

Rob Price
12-19-2011, 9:27 PM
The glue block idea sounds like a great way to go. Didn't think about it. Thanks for the tips.

Jim Burr
12-19-2011, 9:57 PM
What a great idea Rob!!! I have an idea for a shorter version using marble...you really sparked my interest!!