PDA

View Full Version : My first 'bowl' (and first ever lathe project)

Rob Price
12-18-2011, 8:41 PM
This is a simple bowl that I decided would be a good project to cut my teeth on. My mom has an old antique doll that she has on a stand. She bought a glass dome to cover the doll while on a trip overseas, only to get home and see that the dome is 1" too short for the doll. So I made this simple stand, the doll sits in the middle, recessed down an inch or so, and then the glass dome will sit up on the edge. It's not fancy, but it (hopefully) works. I will give it to her as a Christmas present next week. It's african mahogany, I had some extra 16/4 x 8" wide stock that I bought for some 3" legs I will be turning soon for an end table. Finished with Behlen's Woodturner's finish with a coat of beeswax. I learned a bunch with this simple project, got to try out my Nova chuck and the cole jaws that came with it when I goofed and gouged the bottom while I was turning the top, I had to turn it back around to fix it and the cole jaws came in handy.

Thanks for looking!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kS_4CnEYhi8/Tu6VYW0RHkI/AAAAAAAABfQ/V0Jrji8ZquM/s800/IMG_1291.JPG

Steve Mawson
12-18-2011, 8:57 PM
Rob,
Looks like you are off to a great start. On to the next project. Mom will be impressed.

Bill Bolen
12-18-2011, 9:01 PM
Nice job most especially for a first! Bet Mom will have a big thank you ready for the fix to her problem too.

Roger Chandler
12-18-2011, 9:41 PM
Super start, Rob! Congratulations!

Baxter Smith
12-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Turning something pretty and useful is always appreciated. Hope you have many more like them!

David E Keller
12-18-2011, 11:23 PM
And so it begins! Looks like you've solved the problem with the dome nicely! Congrats on getting numero uno completed... Looking forward to the next one!

Ed Morgano
12-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Great way to save a dome.....and attractive too. Keep up the good work!

Jon McElwain
12-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Well done! My first bowl was made long before I had ever seen a book or internet postings about turning. I think I used a 1/4" pairing chisel and an angle grinder. Lets just say that this piece of yours looks far better than my first attempt!

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Well done for a first and she is going to like it.

Billy Tallant
12-19-2011, 3:36 AM
Very nice job for a 1st, & something your Mom will be proud of for sure!

John Keeton
12-19-2011, 6:46 AM
Rob, I recall all too well my first turning after buying a lathe to turn a set of legs for a table!!! I am pretty sure I can predict the direction this will go for you!;):D

You did some good work on this one. The mahogany is very nice wood to turn.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 7:43 AM
Rob - nice work - especially for your first turning! Be sure to sign and date the bottom!! Your Mom is going to love it!! Looking forward to seeing turning #2!

Steve Vaughan
12-19-2011, 7:57 AM
Ain't nothing wrong with that piece! That was a nice creative fix to the height issue and you've done well with it.