PDA

View Full Version : You cannot fix stupid!

David Larsen
12-18-2011, 7:35 PM
First off, it is woodworking related because it involves wood.

I was at a BORG late this afternoon. It was just getting dark enough that I thought it was appropriate to turn on my headlights as I was pulling out of the parking lot. As I was leaving the lot, I saw a mid 50's male getting ready to leave on his Goldwing motorcycle. Horizontally across the back of the motorcycle was an 8 foot 1 x 6 attached with a bungie cord. Apparently this person needed a board! I should have taken a picture!

Imagine the motorcycle with this 1 x 6 attached horizontally. That would put about 3 feet sticking out on each side.

I guess you cannot fix stupid!

Phil Thien
12-18-2011, 8:19 PM
Sounds like he was applying for a Darwin Award. Darwin Awards fix stupid, permanently.

Rick Fisher
12-18-2011, 8:24 PM
I say we take the safety labels off everything .. For the sake of the future..

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2011, 8:25 PM
Maybe it was really a wing and he was planning to fly above the crowds!! Most of the 1X material I've seen, no matter who sells it, is cupped enough to add a little lift.:D Jim.

Carl Beckett
12-18-2011, 8:34 PM
I lived in puerto rico a couple years, where I saw everything, including a guy on a motorcycle carrying a ladder going down the highway

ray hampton
12-18-2011, 9:38 PM
I lived in puerto rico a couple years, where I saw everything, including a guy on a motorcycle carrying a ladder going down the highway

I only see this stuff on the TV where someone are riding a bike
what about two teens stealing a street post and sticking it thru. a open window into the car , then hitting the post end so that the post will smack the driver head

Mike Cruz
12-18-2011, 9:43 PM
Yes, you can fix stupid... When a car comes by and clips the board, he'll be in the running for the Darwin award. That'll fix 'em...

Phil, sorry, I hadn't seen your post. Somehow missed it. Apparently, we're on the same page...

scott vroom
12-18-2011, 9:44 PM
A couple of my favorites...

jeff . whitaker
12-18-2011, 9:47 PM
Heres one for you..
Had a customer who bought a used RC plane ( already assembled)
He put it inthe back of his pickup and drove home down I-10 .... not surprising at 40 mph.. it took off out the back and crashed on the pavement...he then called me and DEMANDED we replace it with a new plane... we had not warned him it would fly out the truck....
*SIGH*

what bothers me the most.... they let him have a drivers license....
:eek:

ray hampton
12-18-2011, 9:55 PM
Heres one for you..
Had a customer who bought a used RC plane ( already the back of his pickup and drove home down I-10 .... not surprising at 40 mph.. it took off out the back and crashed on the pavement...he then called me and DEMANDED we replace it with a new plane... we had not warned him it would fly out the truck....
*SIGH*

what bothers me the most.... they let him have a drivers license....

:eek:

you should replace the plane, after all it did not fly

Aleks Hunter
12-18-2011, 9:58 PM
That was my first thought too , WINGS!

Mike Cruz
12-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Scott, that should be a Mercedes commercial!

Dave Aronson
12-18-2011, 10:44 PM
jousting practice?

George Gyulatyan
12-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Well, at least it WAS a Goldwing. Those things are like cars on two wheels!

Tony Perrone
12-19-2011, 6:57 AM
My favorite was many years ago I worked at the Borg and a guy asked me to put 100 bags of concrete in the back of his truck, I looked at the truck and said volume wise it would fit but weight wise it will crush it you are looking at around 8000 pounds and it is cheaper to order a concrete truck. He looked at me and said "are you sure" I couldn't belive someone could be that stupid I told him 80lb bags you want 100 add the zeros he still didn't believe me and insisted we put it in the back of his truck (a 1500 chevy) I called the boss who made him sign a waiver, I still didn't want to do it so the boss loaded it about 1/2 hour later two guys pulled up and said you should see this idiot unloading his truck down the street the rear folded under his truck and the tow truck driver told him he couldn't lift the truck loaded. I have tons of stories of stuff I saw working their as they say when you are the smartest man in the room its time to leave.

Aaron Berk
12-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I have tons of stories of stuff I saw working their as they say when you are the smartest man in the room its time to leave.

lmao, I love that.

Umm..... yeah.... sorry folks, but I need to be leaving now. LOL

HaHa, what a way to make an exit.

Neil Brooks
12-19-2011, 10:54 AM
While traveling in Indonesia, it was common to see 4-5 people on a single, small-displacement (eg, 125cc) motorcycle, where at least one of them was carrying something inordinately large.

I'm with Jim O'Dell: it was either used to generate LIFT or DOWN FORCE -- a carefully thought out move, to improve its handling characteristics ;)

Myk Rian
12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Here's my favorite.

Jim Rimmer
12-19-2011, 1:04 PM
While traveling in Indonesia, it was common to see 4-5 people on a single, small-displacement (eg, 125cc) motorcycle, where at least one of them was carrying something inordinately large.

I'm with Jim O'Dell: it was either used to generate LIFT or DOWN FORCE -- a carefully thought out move, to improve its handling characteristics ;)

I was in Jakarta a few years ago and saw a Nissan (little) pickup with no sideboards with a water buffalo in the back. The buffalo probably went 1500 - 2000 lbs. One shift of the weight and that pickup would be rolling sideways.

Matthew N. Masail
12-19-2011, 1:40 PM
LOL! that is one stupid guy... I love that saying "when you are the smartest man in the room its time to leave", unfortunately I'd be out of work, the places I've worked for lately drove me crazy, I left one only to find another. For example last week I spent 3 days sanding a 15 (+-) Square meter deck, and the outside and the INSIDE (!) of a sauna, all made of Cedar, with a small palm vibrating sander... not to mention upright walls and more..... you should have seen me with the swimming goggles inside a sauna. and why? because apparently it takes too long to do it with industrial tools and the workshop before installation....

The motorcycle guy should be arrested.

Neil Brooks
12-19-2011, 2:22 PM
Okay. My uncle JUST posted this pic that he took while in Cambodia. Let's say it's wood-related.....

http://hphotos-iad1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/390685_309839922384267_100000747849689_1012858_538 43121_n.jpg

Neil Brooks
12-19-2011, 2:23 PM
Oop. Side shot.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407391_309840422384217_100000747849689_1012863_204 1104049_n.jpg

Mike Cruz
12-19-2011, 3:51 PM
Sounds like a riddle in the making... When is a Honda condidered a HOG? :D

Jerome Hanby
12-19-2011, 4:16 PM
I like Heinlein's take on stupidity. It's the only universal capital crime. Sentence is carried automatically and without mercy.

Don Jarvie
12-19-2011, 4:22 PM
The other day leaving the Orange BORG a car has 2 4x8 pieces of sheetrock on the roof with no tie downs and only 1 guy holding them. Hopefully they didn't have to go far.

ray hampton
12-19-2011, 7:44 PM
The other day leaving the Orange BORG a car has 2 4x8 pieces of sheetrock on the roof with no tie downs and only 1 guy holding them. Hopefully they didn't have to go far.

on a car ?
I were going to the store couple of years ago when a pickup truck hauling plywood and the driver pull into the center stop-wait lane a mightly wind pick the plywood up and drop it on the pavement right in front of me, my brakes could not stop me in time so my front wheels were resting on the wood, where was the wind when the car were hauling drywall ?

Dan Hintz
12-20-2011, 6:11 AM
My favorite was many years ago I worked at the Borg and a guy asked me to put 100 bags of concrete in the back of his truck, I looked at the truck and said volume wise it would fit but weight wise it will crush it you are looking at around 8000 pounds and it is cheaper to order a concrete truck. He looked at me and said "are you sure" I couldn't belive someone could be that stupid I told him 80lb bags you want 100 add the zeros he still didn't believe me and insisted we put it in the back of his truck (a 1500 chevy) I called the boss who made him sign a waiver, I still didn't want to do it so the boss loaded it about 1/2 hour later two guys pulled up and said you should see this idiot unloading his truck down the street the rear folded under his truck and the tow truck driver told him he couldn't lift the truck loaded. I have tons of stories of stuff I saw working their as they say when you are the smartest man in the room its time to leave.
Sounds like my time working at Toys R Us. I put a ping pong table on the roof of a station wagon and collapsed the roof (we warned him... those things are heavy). Warned another about the flight-worthiness of fully-assembled playhouses... nope, they were smarter. It caught wind while they were driving on the highway, yanked it right off of the vehicle, and they demanded we give them another one. sometimes taking the floor model isn't the best idea.

Rick Moyer
12-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Just wondering. If they sign a waiver about damage to their vehicle, etc., I can understand; but what about cases like above where something flies off and possibly damages someone/something else? Would there be any liability for the loader of the purchase? I would be concerned if I loaded/helped load something on someone's vehicle that I wasn't comfortable with and they had some type of mishap from it flying off or damaging someone else's property. I don't think I would want any part in assisting someone's stupidity. How do most stores handle this?

Jerome Hanby
12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Seems like the only prudent course of action is to offer delivery and otherwise leave you to your own devices. I don't think I would do any more than wheel the item to the loading area near their vehicle. Everyone likes to be helpful, but no use letting some idiots make your life miserable taking the results of their stupidity out on you.

Dan Hintz
12-20-2011, 1:28 PM
Just wondering. If they sign a waiver about damage to their vehicle, etc., I can understand; but what about cases like above where something flies off and possibly damages someone/something else? Would there be any liability for the loader of the purchase? I would be concerned if I loaded/helped load something on someone's vehicle that I wasn't comfortable with and they had some type of mishap from it flying off or damaging someone else's property. I don't think I would want any part in assisting someone's stupidity. How do most stores handle this?
That' an NMP issue... Not My Problem. Once it leaves the store, it's up to the vehicle's driver to secure/control his load.

Of course, given enough negligence on the loader's part, the wrong judge, the right lawyer, etc., anything is possible.

Jim Rimmer
12-20-2011, 2:01 PM

From what I've seen at the BORG, they will help you with conventional loading but if it is questionable, they just go back in the store and it's all on you. I think they even have a sign stating something about stupid loads.

Mike Cruz
12-20-2011, 3:00 PM
Dan, while agree on the NMP, I would say that if a drive put something on his car and it flew off and damaged someone else's property or injured a person, they are most CERTAINLY liable for it themselves...especially if warned by the "loader".

Ron Natalie
12-20-2011, 3:15 PM
I used to have a helper that I'd send to the store to get things. He managed to lose a couple of sheets of plywood he tried to carry on top of his ski rack. I only found out about this when they were delivered and the edges were all banged up from bouncing down the highway behind his car. This was also the guy who came back with a large sack because he couldn't remember whether I'd asked for 6 12" spikes or 12 6" ones. I still got those 6 12" ones around somewhere.

ray hampton
12-20-2011, 3:19 PM
Dan, while agree on the NMP, I would say that if a drive put something on his car and it flew off and damaged someone else's property or injured a person, they are most CERTAINLY liable for it themselves...especially if warned by the "loader".

KY law officers can write a ticket for any load that are not secured[tie down ]if any of the load fall off of the truck or bicycle, CAN someone tell me the force that a 6mph wind will apply to a 4x8 sheet of plywood when you are packing it and the wind catch you broadside ?

Mike Cruz
12-20-2011, 3:22 PM
That reminds me of the time (20 some odd years ago) that my dad and I went to get some drywall. It was drizzling out, so we laid plastic down in the bed of his truck, loaded the drywall on, then wrapped/folded the plastic around the drywall to keep it dry. The sheets were 8'ers, my dad had a small pickup, so the tailgate had to be down... Yeah, when we went to enter the main road, the best way to describe it was a burial at sea...the whole cluster of drywall came off as one...undamaged, not cracked or broken. Oh, did I mention my dad had a bed liner? :o Plastic on plastic...DUH!!!!!!!

Rick Moyer
12-20-2011, 3:27 PM
From what I've seen at the BORG, they will help you with conventional loading but if it is questionable, they just go back in the store and it's all on you. I think they even have a sign stating something about stupid loads.

I never noticed any signs and that's partly why I asked. I fortunately have a big suburban and also a utility trailer so most anything I've needed to transport has been easy to do. My favorite "what are you thinking" transport item is driver with left arm and passenger with right arm holding down a mattress that is on the roof. No way could they hold that down at speed or when a gust of wind decides it shouldn't be on the roof!

Mike Cruz
12-20-2011, 3:29 PM
Ray...enough...that's how much! Ever carry a sheet of plywood and have a small gust of wind come by? Enough...

ray hampton
12-20-2011, 3:46 PM
Ray...enough...that's how much! Ever carry a sheet of plywood and have a small gust of wind come by? Enough...

now multiply that number by your phone number and you will know the force acting on a sheet of plywood that are tie to the car top

Moses Yoder
12-20-2011, 3:47 PM
Yea well, we can't all be the smartest man in the room. I wish it were more widely known that the smartest man in the room has to leave. That would leave me with all the scotch and women to myself. Now who's stupid?

Tony Perrone
12-20-2011, 7:46 PM
Johnny Walker Blue or Bombay safire and Tonic is what I drink:) There is a sign but most of the "lot techs" as they call themselves stack pallets of concrete in front of them. The store also makes its lot techs take a class on loading a vehicle so they can claim we showed them the proper way so we are not liable. I can't tell you how many times I saw 10 sheets of plywood on top of a car tied down with twine. I would usulally tell them give me 10 minuets to go inside and make sure no-one from my family is on the road so you don't kill them. Another favorite was the guy with a ford ranger who wanted a pallet of bricks on the back and said these bricks only way five pounds "Yes sire five pounds per brick 720 to a pallet thats 3600 lbs or more than what your truck ways" put it on anyway I will spread the wait around. Again I argue with boss I refused to do it the boss did and the guy made it to the end of the parking lot and relized his front wheels were off the ground and couldn't turn his wheels, I left for lunch and wanted nothing to do with it.

ray hampton
12-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Johnny Walker Blue or Bombay safire and Tonic is what I drink:) There is a sign but most of the "lot techs" as they call themselves stack pallets of concrete in front of them. The store also makes its lot techs take a class on loading a vehicle so they can claim we showed them the proper way so we are not liable. I can't tell you how many times I saw 10 sheets of plywood on top of a car tied down with twine. I would usulally tell them give me 10 minuets to go inside and make sure no-one from my family is on the road so you don't kill them. Another favorite was the guy with a ford ranger who wanted a pallet of bricks on the back and said these bricks only way five pounds "Yes sire five pounds per brick 720 to a pallet thats 3600 lbs or more than what your truck ways" put it on anyway I will spread the wait around. Again I argue with boss I refused to do it the boss did and the guy made it to the end of the parking lot and relized his front wheels were off the ground and couldn't turn his wheels, I left for lunch and wanted nothing to do with it.

and this were at low speed, what would his ranger do at high speed, wheelie ?

Kevin W Johnson
12-21-2011, 4:42 AM
That' an NMP issue... Not My Problem. Once it leaves the store, it's up to the vehicle's driver to secure/control his load.

Of course, given enough negligence on the loader's part, the wrong judge, the right lawyer, etc., anything is possible.

No kidding. The guy that installed a propane tank for me today told me of article in a trade magazine he gets. Some guy cut the lock off his natural gas meter after being cut off for non-payment. He ended up burning his house down as a result. Wins a 10 million dollar lawsuit, because the "lock wasn't strong enough to keep him from cutting it off". Should have never seen a court room, much less a ruling in his favor.

Jerome Hanby
12-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Did he use a Ryobi table saw to cut it off? he might be in the running for two settlements...

No kidding. The guy that installed a propane tank for me today told me of article in a trade magazine he gets. Some guy cut the lock off his natural gas meter after being cut off for non-payment. He ended up burning his house down as a result. Wins a 10 million dollar lawsuit, because the "lock wasn't strong enough to keep him from cutting it off". Should have never seen a court room, much less a ruling in his favor.

sullivan mcgriff
12-21-2011, 1:21 PM
I have seen folks tying loads down with the survey tape they have to mark long loads. I had one incident myself picking up soil, the guy at the yard said he could put two meters in the back of the truck, silly me agreed. Driving home the steering seemed awfully light, I noticed in a window reflection that the front end rose up everytime I hit the gas, I swear I saw light under the tires but I may have been wrong, found out later that it was probably over two tons

Stew Hagerty
12-21-2011, 1:30 PM
you should replace the plane, after all it did not fly

Yes it did