PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for SMC....

joseph j shields
03-09-2005, 6:42 PM
I'm sure we have enough creative types at SMC to come up with even better ideas, but here's my contribution:

Offer a SMC hat for donations over $XXX
Have 2 levels of members.... public level (no donation=no avatars, no uploading of graphics, maybe limit number of posts per day???...) partner level (any donation=avatars & ability to upload graphics) ..... Just a thought
I'm a newbee to the SMC, but I really enjoy this site and would hate to think that services would be cut.

Any comments:confused::confused:

-jj

Tim Morton
03-09-2005, 7:00 PM
#q Offer a SMC hat for donations over $XXX
# Have 2 levels of members.... public level (no donation=no avatars, no uploading of graphics, maybe limit number of posts per day???...) partner level (any donation=avatars & ability to upload graphics) ..... Just a thought

I like the first idea...free hat for a $50 donation seems about right. But in regards to the second, I don't think anyone wants anything that would seperate donors from non donors. This is a free site and everyone should have the same freedom to use the entire site regardless of whether they desire to contribute finacially. If you want to contribute great, and if you don't then great too. Contributing to this forum is done in many different ways, money is just one part of the picture. Giving money should be a private thing IMHO. :) :)

Ted Shrader
03-09-2005, 8:01 PM
Tim -

I agree with your approach about voluntary donations and non-discrimination between those that do and don't.

A mix of donations and sponsorships will allow the site to continue.

Ted

John Shuk
03-09-2005, 8:09 PM
I was also thinking about this today. If this were a paid service we could all complain and take up keith and everyone elses time with all kinds of stuff. They would have to deal with it as customer service. We don't pay and we have a limited right to complain. It seems to be a benevolent dictatorship and I like it that way. If you are a paying member and a post gets deleted or some other such thing then you would rightly hold HRO responsible. Then they would have to have employees. What about when a person wants a refund? It would just be a can of worms. These guys are dedicated to keeping this free and open to as many as possible. I would like to think they have some fun doing it. Why make it a job?

Tim Morton
03-10-2005, 5:27 AM
I have a request for an addition to the SMC user interface. Maybe its already possible and i just don;t know about it, but i wuold like to be able to click on a topic and either have the newest repsonses on top, or to be able to be directed down the page to only see responses I have not read yet. As it stands I have to reread/scan down until i get to a new response. It would be more convienient to see only new responses.

Michael Cody
03-10-2005, 7:02 AM
I have a request for an addition to the SMC user interface. Maybe its already possible and i just don;t know about it, but i wuold like to be able to click on a topic and either have the newest repsonses on top, or to be able to be directed down the page to only see responses I have not read yet. As it stands I have to reread/scan down until i get to a new response. It would be more convienient to see only new responses.

Tim you can already do that ... at the thread level on the screen there is icon with a down arrow that goes to first unread.. once you are into a thread and have the messages up, there is the same icon also labled "first unread" in the title bar above the first message. I use it all the time.

Tim Morton
03-10-2005, 7:36 AM
im you can already do that ... at the thread level on the screen there is icon with a down arrow that goes to first unread.. once you are into a thread and have the messages up, there is the same icon also labled "first unread" in the title bar above the first message. I use it all the time.

DOH!!! How long has THAT been there? :cool:

Jason Roehl
03-10-2005, 8:59 AM
DOH!!! How long has THAT been there? :cool: Uhhh...well, how old is SMC? :D:D

Brent Beelby
03-10-2005, 9:20 AM
Don't feel bad, Tim I didn't realize that either and I have been coming to this site for over a year.
Brent

Steve Jenkins
03-10-2005, 10:01 AM
The other thing you can do is click on "new posts" and it will bring up all the new posts in all the different forums. This is all I use now.