PDA

View Full Version : Muddler - a simple gift for a bartender

Mike Peace
12-18-2011, 6:47 PM
I had never heard of a muddler until by son, a bartender, asked me to make him one. This one is of cherry finished in Mahoney's Oil. It is about 7 1/2" long with the larger rounded end about 1 1/2" in diameter and the smaller end with a flatter surface about 3/4". I made it to his specs. You can see a wide variety of muddlers if you Google muddler images. No great turning feat or work of art but thought it might be of interest to those of you still thinking about making last minute gifts.

Jim Burr
12-18-2011, 6:56 PM
Mike, one of my favorite beverages during the summer is a Mojito...muddling is a must!! I'm sure Cuba is in my past..Cuban sandwiches...Mojitos, cuban cigars...I'm on a plane!
This has the look of a well used professional appliance...ya did good for your son!

Ted Calver
12-18-2011, 7:36 PM
Nice!! I have an assortment of muddlers in various woods to go along with the huge patch of mint in the back yard :)

Jamie Donaldson
12-18-2011, 8:51 PM
Since I live in mint julip country I've made hundreds of muddlers over the years, and years ago each bartender would have one made to their individual designs. I sell them with a variety of diameters, as they should be ergonomically fitted to the hand to reduce the possible onset of "mijito elbow!" I include recipes for julips, mojitos, and caipirinhas, and they can also be used to "mush" peppercorns, sea salt, and other food materials, but don't mush garlic and then use the same muddler to prepare your drinks!

Bill Bolen
12-18-2011, 9:05 PM
Cool piece Mike and thanks Jamie as I had no idea what a "muddler" was used for.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the thought Mike! Not being from mint julip country, I had never heard of a muddler either Bill.:) It did remind me of something I made for stirring oatmeal after seeing it here. Had to google "stirring oatmeal" to remember the name though. Called a "spurtle".

Jamie Donaldson
12-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Baxter- a spurtle?? I thought you stirred oatmeal with a spoon!!??

Baxter Smith
12-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Baxter- a spurtle?? I thought you stirred oatmeal with a spoon!!??
The spoon works too, and it is definitely the better choice when it comes time for consumption.:)

Sid Matheny
12-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Neat one Mike and sure your son will tell where he got it! I have made a lot of "spurtles" and sold them.

Sid

David E Keller
12-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Forget the oatmeal... It's mojito time! Nicely done!

philip labre
12-19-2011, 7:32 AM
For a moment I couldn't figure out how you tied my favorite fly, a muddler minnow, on the lathe. Never mind.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 8:14 AM
Mike - pretty cool piece! I like the simple lines! I've turned spurtles before but never even heard of a muddler. Thanks for sharing!

Reid Strand
12-19-2011, 9:49 AM
Gee, thanks. Monday morning at work with Mojito's on my mind.

Any concerns about the oil finish affecting taste? I've mostly used unfinished maple, but they get pretty funky looking after a few months.

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2011, 9:51 AM
Really nice piece Mike.

Jamie Donaldson
12-19-2011, 12:45 PM
216398I finish my muddlers with a coat of mineral oil, then wiped dry. No taste, and entirely food safe, and can be renewed as desired. I suggest Mike's design would be more functional if the wet end of the muddler were a bit flatter, in order to "mush" a larger area right up to the edges of a typical glass. I've posted my muddlers to add another design alternative.

Mike Peace
12-19-2011, 7:37 PM
Jamie, my son wanted to be able to use either end as a "wet" end. He wanted the small end flat but wanted the larger end somewhat rounded. I can't speak to the functionality since I don't use one.