PDA

View Full Version : Looking for repair help on Delta Iron Bed 1440 model 46-715 lathe

Bill Bukovec
12-18-2011, 6:43 PM
I noticed my Delta Iron Bed 1440 model 46-715 lathe was making a noise today.

The noise is from the head stock.

The problem is the pulley, Part 15 on the parts list (nearest to the work piece) is rubbing on the Spline, Part 25, that adjust the spindle speed.

This lathe adjusts the speed mechanically by changing the diameter of the pulley inside the headstock.

I've had this lathe for about six years, so maybe I finally wore something out.

I was hoping someone else has seen this problem and has a solution. I plan to give Delta a call tomorrow and hope I can talk to a tech.

Thanks,

Bill

Dale Coons
12-18-2011, 10:01 PM
You're probably not going to be happy--I had to get a replacement part for mine a few years ago. At that point they had stopped making individual pulley parts--I had to buy a 'kit' which contained both pulleys. It was pretty expensive, and it took about 4 or 5 months to get them. Maybe they have individual parts again. Good luck.

Jack Mincey
12-19-2011, 6:08 AM
I had one in my school shop that had pulley problems every time I turned around and after needing to buy the second set of pulley's I sold it for almost nothing just to get it out of our way. After repairing it the first time we just used it for buffing and it didn't even hold up for more than a year doing this before it had another pulley fail. I can break the pulley's with my bare hands, they are made of such &$^%# metal. My students trying to adjust the speed with it off is most likely the problem with it not holding up so there was really no way I was going to spend anymore money to repair it the second time in one year.
Jack

Steve Baumgartner
12-19-2011, 9:23 AM
The variable speed Reeves drive has been the part of mine that I am least pleased with. It is always noisy and not particularly smooth. Plus, I learned the hard way that the splines need to be greased from time to time or else the pressure of the adjuster will overstress the pulley and it will break! It's a weak aluminum casting that won't stand up to much. If you are lucky, maybe yours just needs some grease. If it is worn, you may have an expensive fix. At the time mine broke Delta still sold the parts individually, but I can't say what they are doing now.

Bill Bukovec
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Just an update..

I talked to a nice gentlemen at Delta yesterday.

He came to the same conclusion I did, disassemble and grind off the part of the spindle that sticks past the yoke.

I haven't taken it apart yet, so I don't know if the yoke has worn causing this problem to show up.

Fortunately, I have access to a small milling machine (and also access to a couple machinists) if I need to mill a new yoke.

So far I have been happy with the lathe. I got a good deal from Acme Tools when they opened in Plymouth, MN. I know there are bigger better lathes out there, but I didn't have the money at the time.

I have also had good customer support from Delta.

In the mean time, I will keep everything well greased and take care when I change speeds.

Bill

John Rosser
02-24-2016, 12:09 PM
I recently purchased the Delta 46-715. Part 15 gave out. Has anyone found a way to fix other than scraping the lathe. Please send me some suggestions.
Thanks,