PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at half blind DT's w/ mini stealth gloat

bob blakeborough
12-18-2011, 6:10 PM
So this was my first try at doing half blind DT's in some practice cherry wood. Overall I am quite please with how they turned out. Some small gaps but overall I think they are quite acceptable. Now to try them in an actual piece...

Oh yeah... the mini Veritas plane keychain is pretty cool too!!! One of my favourite Christmas gift's ever... lol

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/386379_10151062103235693_895470692_22072148_165512 2949_n.jpg

Eric Brown
12-18-2011, 7:25 PM
Not so hard is it Bob. After a while you start looking for excuses to do it. A couple tricks for you that might help.
Good lighting and make some practice cuts down to a line before the real piece.
Still, your first ones look pretty good. Show us a drawer or something when you get it done.

Eric

bob blakeborough
12-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Not so hard is it Bob. After a while you start looking for excuses to do it. A couple tricks for you that might help.
Good lighting and make some practice cuts down to a line before the real piece.

Eric

I was actually surprised how easy they were! Don't get me wrong though... It took me probably a lot longer than most just to do those two tails, but the actual act of doing them seemed almost easier in a weird way than normal through tails. I think it helped that I had an experienced guy over my shoulder the entire time giving me instruction, but I now have the confidence to tackle them on my own...

Chris Griggs
12-19-2011, 1:02 PM
I was actually surprised how easy they were! Don't get me wrong though... It took me probably a lot longer than most just to do those two tails, but the actual act of doing them seemed almost easier in a weird way than normal through tails. I think it helped that I had an experienced guy over my shoulder the entire time giving me instruction, but I now have the confidence to tackle them on my own...

I COMPLETELY agree. Half-blinds take longer then through, but I find them easier to get good results with. The first time I cut hlaf-blinds they turned out better then any through dovetail I had cut, which was pretty shocking to me at the time. My guess is this is because they are, well.... half-blind. There is less show surface so less opportunity to have visible error.

Nice work Bob! What little gaps there are (which i can't really see btw) will be easily removed with a bit of peening and/or swelling.

Steve Branam
12-19-2011, 7:53 PM
Looks great! And like Chris says, the gaps are pretty hard to see. Excellent job for a first try, certainly better than mine.