PDA

View Full Version : 3 PH power question and a gloat

Gary Herrmann
12-18-2011, 5:13 PM
I got a screaming deal on a new JET JDP 20" VS metal working drill press. I got it for less than their 20" woodworking drill press goes for. 2hp. 6.5" quill travel. Auto forward and reverse for tapping. This thing is a beast. It weighs 740lbs.

Other than getting the beast down the stairs, the only dilemma is power. It's 3 phase. I was on the Factorymation page, looking at the FM50-202-C. http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.196/.f?sc=2&category=32

Any reason not to go with this one? I'll still be able to use all the controls on the DP, right? Thanks for your help.

Stephen Cherry
12-18-2011, 5:28 PM
I'll still be able to use all the controls on the DP, right? Thanks for your help.

THat drive is OK. Another option is a Hitachi from drives wharehouse- made in Japan rather than China- and maybe a better drive. (Although the teco drive is OK) As far as the start and stop goes, need to figure out if the drill has a magnetic starter or just an on off switch. Either way would work, just in a little different way.

Larry Edgerton
12-19-2011, 7:08 AM
I have a FM 50 sitting around that I bought for a Walker Turner drill press similar to yours. I am not electrically minded and have not found anyone to hook it up yet. The whole reversing switch thing has me confused. I wanted to be able to use the drill press without starting the converter so I picked one of those up, but ya, me and wiring are not one.If you do this I would be interested to hear how it works out and what issues if any you run into.And congrats on the score......Larry