PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple of turnings

Ron Bontz
12-18-2011, 5:12 PM
Yes, I know I should make a photo tent. But I hope you will forgive me once again for my poor picture quality.
I finished up a 11" dia x 6" tall Walnut bowl I roughed out last winter. The power company came through at my sister's house and laid waste to about a 100' wide path along a pipe line. The cut up trees were just thrown to the side in ditches etc. with out even telling my sister they had done so. Tried to save about ten blanks but most were already cracked.
The 2nd is just an 8" dia x about 3" tall hollow form out of what I was told is "white mulberry" It turned ok but reminds me of ash with respect to the grain. C&C are always welcome on course:)

Jim Burr
12-18-2011, 5:27 PM
Nice stuff Ron!! I'm gonna die before I find big stuff like that!! Inlay is a nice touch and potpourri pot is a good form...look at recessing the top...it can change the appearance of the final form. Merry Christmas!!

Nate Davey
12-18-2011, 5:32 PM
I love the urn, beautiful job on a classic form. I downloaded a bunch of pics from Google of classic urns to turn and this is one of them. I hope I can do it justice as you did.

Ron Bontz
12-18-2011, 5:40 PM
Are we speaking of the walnut ring being recessed? Or the metal? I had to cut out a bad spot in the wood. So hence the walnut was added. I have no clue how big a potpouri pot should be. It was one of those ..stick it on the lathe and see what comes out days. Both are about 3/16th thick.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2011, 10:39 PM
The walnut bowl is very striking and I like the color of the inlay that goes with it Ron. I'm not sure I like quite so many lines of it, but I'm not sure which ones I would eliminate either. I think the contrasting ring in the potpouri is a very nice touch as well!

Ron Bontz
12-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks Baxter. I would tend to agree with you on the inlays. But once those grooves were cut... well that's that. Chalk it up to the learning process.:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Really nice pieces. I do like that walnut bowl.

David Dobbs
12-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Nice job neighbor.

Dave

Billy Tallant
12-19-2011, 3:42 AM
Very nice job! That walnut bowl really grabs my attention...

John Keeton
12-19-2011, 7:15 AM
Ron, you did a good job on both! Very nice form on the walnut piece. On the size of the potpourri, the few I have done were around 6" in diameter and seemed to work out well. Too large, and it takes too much to fill them.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 7:38 AM
Nice work on both pieces Ron! I really like the Walnut bowl! You did a great job on form and also bringing that Walnut to life with your finish!

Ron Bontz
12-19-2011, 1:25 PM
Thank you. I sure wish I could have saved more of that tree. Blasphemy!