PDA

View Full Version : Wine Cube

Alex Horvath
12-18-2011, 3:57 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to make a wine cube or 2, the ones that have an X inside of the square (really a wine square!).

For the X part, I assume the best way to do this is a stopped slot halfway through each piece.
Not sure what's the best way to make the slot - I'm thinking tablesaw dado raised as far as possible and run stock through on both sides.
Then there would only be a small raised portion to remove at the end/inside of the slot. I wouldn't have to fuss with the surface cut all so it should be perfect.

For the ends of the X, opposing 45 degree cuts to fit the inside corner of the box?

Also, want to make this out of knotty pine - is a good source for this shelving material from the big box store (haven't looked yet)?

Thanks

Peter Quinn
12-18-2011, 7:28 PM
The slot idea seems solid, probably the most time consuming method though. I've also seen a solid piece used for one leg of the x with two angled dados in it and two short legs glued into the dados to finish the X. Its a simpler way to do it, especially on multiples. The outer frame holds everything captive and gives it strength. Biscuits could also be used to create the X from three pieces with no additional joinery.