PDA

View Full Version : 3rd try at a dust hood

Michael Mills
12-18-2011, 2:40 PM
Here’s my third try at a lathe dust hood.

It uses a register boot (which holds a floor register) and a connector which goes between a downspout and 4” underground drain line. The 45* on the back isn't necessary but I like it.
Hardware cloth is to keep bits of sandpaper from being sucked in.

Post type is an option, my first was PVC pipe with a 90* elbow. I found 1” steel tubing in my scrap bin and cut/welded it but PVC pipe works fine.

The square section of the drain connector is cut off. This will leave a tube with a heavy flange at the rear. Cut or turn a hole in your wood for the drain tube to slip through. With the drain tube through the hole, cover with hardware cloth and install the back connector.

The horizontal blocks at the rear of the head are optional; tee nut are on the inside of the blocks. This allows rotating the head in any position around the arm. On the PVC pipe I used to start with I just drilled holes for the screws and screwed it on.
The jig vertical post section can be rotated in the banjo (same as the tool rest for turning the inside of a bowl).
You can also mount the entire jig from the bottom of your banjo if it works better that way for you.

A couple of minutes with the tin snips and the rectangular boot was oval. Apply psa velcro to register boot as you wish.
You can have an oval head, rectangular head, or no head. They all lock in any rotation position and slip on/off easily.

Cut a plastic file folder (or other material) any shape you wish and apply psa backed velcro. I also made a “choker”. A section of small rod goes the length of the opening. A short piece of Velcro in the center is enough to keep ithe choker in place, vacuum does the rest. Any time you wish to use it you can choke off the intake from one side. For example when sanding a bowl interior or platter, only the working side is open allowing maximum suction rather than also pulling air from the back side of the item. For spindle work the deflector can be pointer up for reverse sanding or under the spindle for normal sanding.

Make a wood banjo unless you are going to use the lathe banjo. Most of the time I will use the lathe banjo. There are cases with soft wood when I will want to use the lathe banjo and tool rest to support a drill for very light sanding.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Interesting design Michael and it looks like it would work quite well! Thanks for sharing!