PDA

View Full Version : Pot de fer d'Eecke

Lionel Mercier
12-18-2011, 12:06 PM
It's just an iron pot I found on the battlefield of Monts de Flandres. Near the village of Eecke,
where the Germans did a last offensive in the year 1918.
At first glance when I found, I thought it was a shell. But no fear, it was just that iron pot,
not a "marmite"
None relationship with turning ? Not sure...
I wish You a merry Chrismas and a happy New Year
Lionel

Alan Trout
12-18-2011, 12:52 PM
That is incredibly cool piece and in excellent condition for the years and exposure. It is also a really neat shape. I call it an excellent find and a wonderful piece of history.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Alan

John Keeton
12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
And, Merry Christmas to you, Lionel! Great example of good form - would be an inspiration for many to take from. Surely if they did this with cast iron, one can do as well with a chunk of wood!

Ken Hill
12-18-2011, 1:09 PM
An incredible find!

Bill Bolen
12-18-2011, 1:12 PM
Wonder what that would look like in Cherry burl?:) Thanks for sharing your find Lionel and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Lionel Mercier
12-18-2011, 1:27 PM
Hi all...
I apologize flatly ...:rolleyes:
it's a joke. You did not guessed that this pot is made of wood ? Yes ?
it is pear stained with fabric dye, then I used the instant iron followed by instant rust
it works well
the handle is an old nail that I hammered on my anvil
the title itself is a joke
pot de fer d' Eecke = iron pot from Eecke
but it sound like "potferdek" this is a belgian-flemish swear-word. Something like : hell
I did not expect to be believed...

Alan Trout
12-18-2011, 1:31 PM
All I had to say is you did an incredible job. It looks like iron. Well Done!!!!

Shame on you for the trickery:)

Alan

Josh Bowman
12-18-2011, 1:35 PM
If it were a real iron pot, what a find, interesting curves. If you made it from wood, great job, looks like an iron pot with interesting curves. So either way it works for me. Thanks for sharing the technique.

Steve Vaughan
12-18-2011, 1:50 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! I was just gonna reply that give it about a day or two and someone is gonna turn something just like it...but I won't now that we know! Very cool and stylish piece!

Jim Burr
12-18-2011, 1:53 PM
Ahhh...Lionel the master deceiver!!! Well done sir! Although it would be a great find in and of itself...you did well. I have numerous pieces of usable and decorative cast iron...I like yours a lot...but I suppose the oven is out!

Ken Hill
12-18-2011, 1:55 PM
Well done, but I would prefer the find haha

Baxter Smith
12-18-2011, 2:30 PM
Lionel, given your unconventional turnings, I was questioning your "facts" as soon as I began reading them. Great job of turning(and deception)!

John Keeton
12-18-2011, 2:42 PM
Unbelievable!!! I fell right into the snare - someone help me out!!

Great work, Lionel! And, as I said before - great form!:D We need to know more about this instant iron and rust process.

Lionel Mercier
12-18-2011, 3:42 PM
Hello John
This was not a bad trap, just a joke :)
The way I deed it
1 - texture and dye the wood
2 - apply a first coat instant iron and let to dry for one hour
3 - apply a second coat, let to dry twelve hours
4 - dab or paint with instant rust the areas where rust is desired
the rusting effect is slow (it continues now !)
216283It's the first time I use this product. I'll improve the technique (iron filings etc...
as you can see, on the nail the effect is super).
If it is good, I'll post it
Friendly, Lionel.

David E Keller
12-18-2011, 3:47 PM
Too cool! I'd love to know about the patina process.

Edit: I must have posted about the time you did... Thanks for the info and the photo

John Keeton
12-18-2011, 3:59 PM
Thanks, Lionel!! I did a search for similar product here on this side of the world, and got the following links:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/instant-iron-and-instant-rust/

http://www.sydneyharbourpaints.com/paints/speciality-finishes/liquid-iron--instant-rust

Interestingly, Sydney Harbour (with US locations) has liquid copper and patina products, too. Might be interesting.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2011, 4:38 PM
Great looking piece Lionel. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

Jim Burr
12-18-2011, 4:39 PM
Hello John
This was not a bad trap, just a joke :)
The way I deed it
1 - texture and dye the wood
2 - apply a first coat instant iron and let to dry for one hour
3 - apply a second coat, let to dry twelve hours
4 - dab or paint with instant rust the areas where rust is desired
the rusting effect is slow (it continues now !)
216283It's the first time I use this product. I'll improve the technique (iron filings etc...
as you can see, on the nail the effect is super).
If it is good, I'll post it
Friendly, Lionel.

Given the fact you fooled us with this one...I'd post the rest of them regardless!

Robert McGowen
12-18-2011, 4:47 PM
I had to look twice and enlarge the photo and am still not sure if it is wood! Excellent job!

Bill Hensley
12-18-2011, 5:59 PM
Stop kidding around and be straight with us, it really is an iron pot. Right?

If not, then I'm very impressed. It looks so real! Great job!

Bill Bolen
12-18-2011, 9:28 PM
Tricky DEVIL!! It's nowhere near April fools day.:)

Jamie Donaldson
12-18-2011, 9:47 PM
John et al, you can buy similar rusty/patinating materials at Michaels, and I bought some in Lexington several years ago. It is available in several metallic appearing varieties, including an excellent copper verdigris.

Scott Hackler
12-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Looks cool Lionel. Word to the wise, the copper patina kit looks really cool unless you spray lacquer on it. Then most of the green patina goes away! Should have read the instructions first.....

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Lionel - excellent joke!! Your pot looks so much like aged iron that no one would ever think it was not! Very nice work and a great story to go with it!! I am amazed at how much this really looks like iron! Thanks for sharing!

Nathan Hawkes
12-21-2011, 8:13 AM
Lionel, did you use a sanding sealer before applying the liquid iron, or just let it soak in?

Tim Rinehart
12-21-2011, 9:34 AM
I'll be horn-swaggled!! I was duped too! I'm glad I read on before starting some reply about how possible it may be to actually do this!!!
Good one Lionel, and not even April 1st!!
I've seen, if memory serves correct and apologies if not, that Michael Gibson has done something with one of his teapots using a similar technique.
I like it, the shape and appearance of a 'find'.
Well done sir!

Don Orr
12-22-2011, 2:23 PM
You sure got me good! I thought it was real. I was concerned you would get in trouble for removing artifacts from a historical site. A wonderfully done piece. I look forward to more.

Thanks for the extra information on the products you used and to JK for finding similar products here.