PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have one of these adjustable/extendable roller conveyor things?

Matt Meiser
12-18-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2082572/33046/General-Extendable-Roller-Stand.aspx

These look like they could be good for TS infeed support for sheet goods. Anyone have one?

Neil Brooks
12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Not I, but ... particularly on the theory that "if one [a roller stand] is good, two is better," I've always thought about buying one -- for exactly the use that you described.

david paul miller
12-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't have one, but I think it would pull or push material into fence if not set perfectly perpendicular. Roller bearing (harbor freight has them for $1.00 each) mounted on a piece of plywood would eliminate that.

David Kumm
12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Matt, a problem is always having to adjust all four feet independently and the hydraulic ones get pricey. If you are using it primarily on a saw have you looked at the ezeefeed tables? They hook to the saw. Dave

Dave Novak
12-18-2011, 1:25 PM
I have one, even a little pricier version. You can have it if you want. The time and fuss required to get it perfectly level and in the same plane as whatever your using it for is just too onerous. Additionally, as mentioned above, if it's not perfectly perpendicular to your fence you'll fight it as it's always trying to move your material away from the fence.

Matt Meiser
12-18-2011, 2:19 PM
Nothing like a glowing review :D

fRED mCnEILL
12-18-2011, 2:59 PM
A few years ago I went to an industrial auction. One of the things for auction was a set of conveyor rollers about 30 feet long. I thought it might be handy and the bidding started at 5 grand. No bids so the initial bid kept gong down until it got to $10. So I "bought" it. Then I thought" what the hell have I done now.I was sort of excited until I realized that it would probably cost me hundreds of dollars just to get it home. So I gave it back to the auction company and decided auctions weren't for me.

Peter Quinn
12-18-2011, 4:50 PM
I worked in a shop that used one on the out feed of a TS. Single scariest POS I have ever had the displeasure of touching. Difficult to adjust accurately, and it can easily direct work in a direction the user may not have intended. It can pull stock away from the fence, toward the fence, if you push too hard stock can go flying off the thing at the end of the cut, or if you happen to bump stock that you have just cut it can go backwards toward the saw blade, or the off cut can. A little friction isn't the worst thing on an out feed table. The worst is when you think you have it working properly and either yourself or somebody else bumps it a bit, you don't notice until you go back to make another cut and things start going weird. Scary. I'll take a solid fold up extension table with some formica any day over that thing. I used to have a series of quick connect extensions on my TS at home for ripping the occasional longer boards. That I vastly prefer to this thing. Before using one I actually though it was a pretty good idea, now not so much.

John Coloccia
12-18-2011, 5:04 PM
It's a well made stand based on the one I've seen. I don't think it's appropriate for a TS outfeed, though.

Rick Potter
12-18-2011, 5:18 PM
The most interesting one I have seen is 'Ezee Feed'. They make infeed, and outfeed, units which attach solidly to the saw, and remove easily, use transfer balls rather than rollers, and have a roller on the side to assist with loading the plywood. Red ones are the heavy duty, yellow are homeowner.

You tube has a slide show on it, and I know I have seen a video somewhere.

Why not buy one and give us a review??

Rick Potter

EDIT: OOPS, just noticed David beat me to it. Sorry.

Peter Quinn
12-18-2011, 7:22 PM
The most interesting one I have seen is 'Ezee Feed'.

That does look like a well though out unit. I particularly like the side roller for loading the infeed with sheets much like a sliding panel saw. I notice they sell DIY kits at the bottom with all the parts needed to create something similar. I'm guessing most wood workers could fashion something similar in short order for a bit less money, though the commercial version certainly has convenience on its side. I made a few saw horses using similar roller balls, think they came from woodcraft or highland? I found a single stout adjustable height horse sufficient for processing sheet stock solo. I'm talking 3"X 3" QSWO stout. I find the balls don't introduce directionality the way rollers do.

lawrence dosson
12-18-2011, 8:17 PM
Matt
i have two very simular to those they are just fine for infeed [like help to hold a sheet of plywood]
lf your trying to cut 3/4 sheets of 4x8 ply buy ones self there good for that

Carl Beckett
12-18-2011, 8:40 PM
I dont have this version, but I have a single roller on a stand I use to support long pieces at the out feed. They tend to 'track' your piece away from the fence.

But some are single ball rollers, in a line. Better, but only if the board hits the ball. Has anyone experience with these versions?

Paul Grothouse
12-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I had one, it ended up in the dumpster. It does not support much weight and the casters ended up getting bent over. As previously mentioned it is a pain in the ass to setup the heights.

ed vitanovec
12-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I was wondering how well these worked, here are a couple sold throught Toomart.
http://www.toolmarts.com/Oasis-T1732S.html

http://www.toolmarts.com/adjustable_toolstand_T1732.html

Rick Lizek
12-19-2011, 5:11 AM
http://www.cabinetmakerfdm.com/5399.html
Can't beat a panel handler. Jet and Hafele have similar carts at a lower price. The best design was a UK version called Panelmate. Best design to copy. Michael Puryear has a simple DIY version in one of the recent hobby mags. No cart works better for unloading sheet goods from horizontal or vertical storage and can feed a horizontal or vertical saw. Those ball casters get filled with dust easy. Even small swivel caster upside down are better than the ball casters in my experience and I've tried everything in the last 40 years.

Matt Meiser
12-19-2011, 8:04 AM
http://www.cabinetmakerfdm.com/5399.html

$1150 :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek:

But...In the back of the current issue of Wood magazine they show that next month's issue will have a plan something like that.

What I do now, if I don't use the Festool saw, is set up a set of saw horses in front of the saw. I lay the panel on those then position myself properly to lift the back edge of the sheet, keep it against the fence, and run it through the saw. I kind of envisionsed using this in a similar manner

Also I did go to the Shop Carts USA site (which is AWFUL by the way) and saw their DT50 drying tower for $325. Wish I'd seen that before I put a bunch of effort into building drying racks.