PDA

View Full Version : adhesive question

Cindy Rhoades
12-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I have a customer that wants a piece of laminate engraved with his granddaughters name on it and he wants me to attach it to a bench that he has put an oil based stain on. What would be the best method to adhere this little name plate to the bench? The bench is made out of pine so no exotic wood. I just want it to stay attached after I give it to him.

Trevor Walsh
12-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm curious about the type of engraving, my first instinct is that the laminate isn't thick enough to engrave... Anyways, I don't know that any adhesive will work on oil, I'd say strip it mask off the tag, stain then reapply with 3M Super 90. That's the stuff I've always used for laminate. Alternatively Instead of stripping to glue it down, pin it with decorative head pins?

It sounds like you've got a case of the "I'm going to half finish this project then give someone an impossible job", I run into this mentality with student's a lot. They ask what's the best way to do something, then they come back with it done a different way and ask how to fix whatever went wrong. The answer winds up being, well if you'd done it the way I said first, we wouldn't have to do X.

Jamie Buxton
12-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah, little brass nails. They're called escutcheon pins. Woodcraft and Woodworkers Supply sell them. http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2080444/28993/SOLID-BRASS-ESCTUCHEON-PINS-1-X-16-GAUGE-2-OZ.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CLqvmICAjK0CFUsaQgodRlNtnA

Cindy Rhoades
12-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a laser engraving business but I also have a full wood shop. It sounds like I am just going to use both methods for piece of mind and sand down the area for tag and then put little decorative brads in. I get people all the time that think I can work miracles and it gets irritating because they have no clue as to what laser engraving is so when they find out it actually burns the surface they freak out until they see the end product.