PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520 B question...

Russell Eaton
12-18-2011, 8:52 AM
My new PM 3520 is making a strange clicking noise in the headstock. It only happens at low RPM's, less than 100. It only happens in forward, and takes a few revolutions to start. I have turned several large pieces and was wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem. If you hand spin the headstock it still happens. If the belt is removed it doesn't. I have checked the belt and all the set screws on both pulleys. I am at a loss, any help will be appreciated. Thanks Russell

Tony De Masi
12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Sounds like you have checked the reasonable solutions but one more for ya. Pull out the spindle lock button and see if the 4mm set screw behind it needs to be tightened also.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Tony gave you the probable cause but I will elaborate. There is a 1/2" thick square disk behind the locking button with two slots milled into it. The locking button engages one of the slots when you depress it. The square disk is held in place by two allen set screws. For some strange reason, they come loose when the machine is new. Tighten both of them and your click will probably disappear. If that doesn't work loosen both set screws and move the disk toward the hand wheel as far as possible and re-tighten. That square disc is also necessary for your speed indicator. A magnetic pick up senses each time a high spot on the disk moves past it and calculated the rpms. As a last resort, make sure the magnetic sensor is not contacting the disk. If it is, put a small spacer behind the access door thereby moving the sensor a bit further from the disk. Between the two, I am sure you will fix your click.
faust

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Russell.....Tony and Faust's solution has fixed a couple of PM3520's here.

Tony De Masi
12-18-2011, 10:52 AM
In keeping with a recent thread I must divulge that the original solution came from Faust (Butch). :rolleyes:

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Tony,
Thanks for the credit but the original solution came form a really nice guy at PM who sounded like he had given that advice lots of times.
faust or Butch if you like.

Russell Eaton
12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I will check az soon as I get home. I knew I could get a quick response from another turner here. Thanks again. Russell

Russell Eaton
12-18-2011, 5:09 PM
OK I tried both the set screws and they were tight. I moved the block towards the headstock and it made no difference. Any more suggestions? Thanks Russell