PDA

View Full Version : A question about pear wood and white glue bathing.

David DeCristoforo
12-17-2011, 9:28 PM
I recently received a chunk of pear wood (Bradford pear I believe) from Roger Chandler. It seemed to be quite sound and of very regular figure with a beautiful reddish hue, fine grain and no "pith" in the block. But as I cut into it, cracks began to appear almost instantly. It is as if the cracks were already there, just below the flawless surface. The piece seemed to be quite dry though not "bone dry". I could not imagine wood cracking so quickly on exposure to air. I have never worked with pear before but my experience has been that wood in general will often crack when cut but it usually does not happen the instant the fresh surface is exposed. So I now have this piece fully shaped and hollowed. I figured if it held together, I would try that 50/50 white glue and water treatment I have often read about and see if it would help either close the cracks or at least seal the wood. The cracks are all pretty fine but large enough to be apparent. The piece did remain intact and is now soaking in the glue brew. Oh right... the question... Or, I should say, questions. Has anyone had similar experiences with pear? And if so, is there any chance of the cracks disappearing or at least closing either partly or completely as stated in several of the dissertations on this treatment I have read?

Roger Chandler
12-17-2011, 9:48 PM
Wow David............that one is a surprise! :eek: That pear looked real solid when I sent it, just as you said......I am wondering since pear is so prone to wind damage if what you have "exposed" is some wind shake?

I think you will do fine with the glue/water mix for soaking...........I have never used it yet, myself, but I think it is important once soaked to let it dry for a couple of days. That should ensure a good bond on the fibers.

Do you think it might be wind shake that was not evident until cut?

David DeCristoforo
12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Could be. Whatever it is, I am fairly certain that it was "resident" in the wood and not the result of exposing fresh surfaces. It's sweet looking wood anyway and if the glue thing works out it will make a good piece. I still have the other half of the piece of pear and it shown no sign of cracks on any of the surfaces, not even the newly exposed side that resulted from my cutting it in half. It's a bit odd, actually...

David E Keller
12-17-2011, 10:04 PM
The only time I've seen that sort of thing was with sanding... Heat checks. I've seen with cherry and pear. Pear is a fruitwood and fairly prone to cracking, but I've not seen that instantaneous type of thing before. Any photos prior to the soak?

The limited experience I have with glue soaking has been with really, really punky stuff... I'm not sure the pear will take on much glue, but I suppose the moisture might help swell the fibers enough to close the cracks, and maybe the glue will keep them closed.

If all else fails, sounds like a great piece for some pyrography... Pear burns beautifully!

Roger Chandler
12-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Could be. Whatever it is, I am fairly certain that it was "resident" in the wood and not the result of exposing fresh surfaces. It's sweet looking wood anyway and if the glue thing works out it will make a good piece. I still have the other half of the piece of pear and it shown no sign of cracks on any of the surfaces, not even the newly exposed side that resulted from my cutting it in half. It's a bit odd, actually...

That is a new one on me! Totally weird! :confused:

Roger Chandler
12-19-2011, 11:49 PM
David,

Thought I would bump this one back up to the top............wanted to see how you made out with that glue bath for the Bradford pear? I hope it will end up affording you a really nice piece to work with...........anxious to see your next project posted! Good luck!

Scott Lux
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
I can't be the only one wondering the difference in ambient humidity from VA to CA, can I?

Ralph Lindberg
12-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I've had Pear and Apple crack as I turned it. Start, nothing, get into the wood, CRACK!. Once so loud I heard it over the lathe. This is all wood that grew around here (sometimes on my property). I figure the cracks were already in the wood, turning just relieved the pressure that was holding the crack together

Roger Chandler
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Ralph and Scott, I think you both may be on to something...........that pear blank I sent David was about 6 inches wide and 10 or 12 inches long...........it had bark on one side and had been in my shop for over a year .............this really did surprise me when David mentioned it cracking..............I think there must have been some stress in the grain, which released when he cut it...........only thing I can figure..........the relative humidity issue.............I don't really know how much difference from here in Virginia to California..........maybe others have a better idea or more knowledge than I on that one.

Bill White
12-21-2011, 3:21 PM
David, I have never turned Bradford Pear. I've cut many down due to the tendancy to split, break, fall down, and generally crap up the landscaping. One nearly broke my arm while working nearby. I would think that the glue soak would work. I not, maybe an epoxy treatment?
Wanna know how I realy feel about bradfords?
Bill

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-21-2011, 5:04 PM
Googled the search term above, and found this site:-

http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/avgrh.html

It splits California into two (North / South), and gives averages, and annual humidity levels - depending on which city your nearest to, it may help on differences.

Hope that helps.

'Bvt

Bill Wiggins
12-21-2011, 9:48 PM
I recently got my hands on a lot of bradford pear, when my daughter's tree collapsed after the October snowstorm in the Northeast. I prepared a few blanks and covered them in Anchorseal. I'll turn those in a few months. I also turned a bowl from a green blank. After it dried, it warped into an oval shape, but no cracking yet. I also turned a Peppermill, after drying the rough-turned blank in the microwave. It held it's shape and didn't crack yet. When I turn the sealed blanks this spring, I'll watch for those small cracks you mentioned.

robert baccus
12-21-2011, 10:30 PM
After hurricanes b. pear is easy to come by here. i was able to turn 10-12 pieces last hurricane up to 15" or so. tried DA on several pieces--several nice cracks. after that i started my standard endseal coating(outside only on vases) and have had almost no cracks. slow but sure. one method i use on FINE cracks when promply found on roughed out bowls, is to mark them with a pencil and throw them into a large black lawn bag. 3-4 shots with a spraybottle and fasten the bag. next day check and if the cracks have closed hit the cracks with thin CA. you will never find the cracks unless well marked. works most of the time.-------old forester