PDA

View Full Version : Busy Christmas

Scott Lux
12-17-2011, 9:22 PM
I opened up the garage to the guys in our men's bible study to come out and make pens for Christmas. Four have (or are about to) taken me up on it. One guy made seven Sierras in assorted woods, another two Euros (thuya burl and zebra wood), a third asked me to make a Euro Pen and Pencil set (pear) and a slimline pen and a euro letter opener (birdseye maple). The pear should be great, I left a groove around the top sections, and he's going to set beads in the grooves. I'll ask him to snap a pick before he ships them.

No pics, didn't happen. But all of these have been leaving the shop as they get done. I did mange to snag the Thuya Burl. There was a mis-measure on the bushing used for the nib end.:o So I had to build up layers of CA to get it flush. Seems a crime to put any finish on Thuya, but necessity is a mother. So after finishing it and buffing, I got a quick pick before delivery.

Along with it is a cross-grain curly maple Sierra. I made it for fun, but a friend of the mrs likes it and is buying it.

Between all these pens, I've had requests for several wine stoppers. I've sold eight of them recently too. The beer store has asked for another batch of "buckeyes" (walnut & poplar), so I have 27 of them getting ready for turning.

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Sure sounds like you are busy!! Beautiful work on both pens - especially the curly! Love the way it plays with the light!!

Congrats on all your sales! Post a photo of all the bottle stoppers if you get the chance!

Jim Burr
12-18-2011, 9:12 AM
Cool looking pens Scott! Maple is always a hit. No stopper pic's? Shame on you!

Donny Lawson
12-18-2011, 9:52 AM
Great work Scott. I've been busy trying to get pen orders out for Christmas. Most of my pens has the persons name on them. I will snap a few pics today.What kind of finish are you putting on them Scott? I use straight CA.

Joe Cunningham
12-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Those are excellent. I have an order for a pen mandrel and will be turning my first ones as stocking stuffers. I tried my first use of CA glue as a finish yesterday (just one a test piece) and it was surprisingly easy to get a nice finish.

Man, this stuff is addicting. I see why you all call it the 'vortex'.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2011, 4:34 PM
Great looking pens Scott and the curly is some pretty stuff.

Scott Lux
12-18-2011, 7:34 PM
Donny, I have a friend who is an adhesives distributor. I get all my CA free. So, yes I use CA on pens. And stoppers. And small bowls.

And here's a work-in-progress of the stoppers.