PDA

View Full Version : First pens on new lathe

Craig Matheny
12-17-2011, 8:17 PM
These are the first pens turned on the new Rikon lathe I got yesterday and the 3rd and 4th pen I have ever turned. The wood one is wood from Mrs. Betty Fox sent my it is Zebra wood the second one is a resin blank I got. I enjoyed this very much and look forward to doing more. Please give your comments and mainly your advice on how to improve. Thank you all for making many of us that are new feel very welcome.

Roger Chandler
12-17-2011, 8:53 PM
Nice pens Craig...........I am partial to zebrawood............I just made one to give away as a poly-anna gift for our church Christmas banquet tomorrow evening...........I like the striped grain in it...........that resin pen is nice as well.........what is the kit that you used for this one?

John Keeton
12-17-2011, 9:16 PM
Craig, first congrats on the lathe - I failed to post in the other thread. I don't know a thing about pens (never done one), but these look well done to me - particularly the zebrawood.

Sid Matheny
12-17-2011, 9:43 PM
Very nice pens Graig and congrats on the great deal on the lathe. I have not turned any pens in a while but seeing these makes me want to make a few more.

Sid

Craig Matheny
12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
what is the kit that you used for this one?

Premier Cigar Ballpoint Pen Kit - Bright Black
Item #147157 from Wood Craft

Jim Burr
12-17-2011, 10:33 PM
I really like the fact you kept a Slimline just that! So many people want to make a fat pen out of an SL and keep the center band. It seldom looks good. Cigar is well done! How'd you like turning acrylic?

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Really nice pens. I really like the zebra wood.

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Nice work on both of these pens Craig! Would never know by looking at them that they were only numbers 3 & 4 you ever turned! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Craig Matheny
12-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Thank you all for your kind words... I do have a question what can be turned using a 3" face plate? Have to save for new toys for it I feel the pulling from the Vortex just don't want my check book to feel it also.:D

Craig Matheny
12-18-2011, 12:51 AM
How'd you like turning acrylic?
Loved it I noticed real fast that when you hit the ribbons it makes a very unique sound and changes the way the tools remove material in that area.

Donny Lawson
12-18-2011, 9:58 AM
Great job Craig. Pens are fun to turn. What kind of finish did you use?

James Combs
12-18-2011, 8:12 PM
Very nice Craig. I particularly like the cigar kits, I also use the cigar internals and finial for my bullet pens. I would probably have reversed the wood and acrylic if I had been making them.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Congrats on the firsts! They both look good Craig!

Billy Tallant
12-19-2011, 3:49 AM
Those pens look sharp. Very good job for just starting out.

David E Keller
12-19-2011, 7:25 AM
Nicely done! Pens were my gateway drug into this vortex... You've been warned! LOL! There are several places where you can get kits much cheaper than WC... Beartoothwoods, Arizona silhouette, and Penn State Industries come to mind, but there are certainly others. Looking forward to seeing more of your turning!

Paul Heely
12-19-2011, 7:30 AM
Nice looking pens. I'll second David's warning. Pens were what sucked me int too. Be careful, they can be addicting :).

Craig Matheny
12-19-2011, 1:35 PM
Great job Craig. Pens are fun to turn. What kind of finish did you use?
CA on the Zebra wood, wet dry to 12000 and carnuba wax on the acrylic