PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher help please???

Jon McElwain
12-17-2011, 6:57 PM
Our dishwasher used to clean REALLY well. Fill the thing crazy full with all manner of food still stuck on the dishes and everything came out clean. Recently it seems to have lost the edge and rather than clean dishes, it is like any food particles left on a dish just get spread around to the other dishes.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks so much!

Dave Lehnert
12-17-2011, 7:10 PM
Did they not change the formula in the soap in the last year or two???????? Seem to recall problems with dishes not getting clean.

Did a quick search.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/reformulated-dishwasher-detergents-can-lead-to-chalky-dishes/1136472

Chris Rosenberger
12-18-2011, 12:47 AM
It sounds like it is not circulating enough water. Dishwashers have screens in the bottom of the tub. The screen could be plugged or the pump could be bad.

Steve Griffin
12-18-2011, 5:45 AM
Take out and clean the spray arms too. Those little holes can get clogged. If the outer holes are clogged, they won't even spin.

Brett Robson
12-19-2011, 7:38 AM
Buy a box of Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) from the BORG and add 1/2 tsp to your detergent.

Ben Hatcher
12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm curious. What will the TSP do, clean the nozzles? Is this something that should be done with every load or is it more of a maintenance thing to be done once in a while?

Brett Robson
12-19-2011, 2:30 PM
Procter and Gamble, the maker of the majority of our detergent brands, recently took all the phosphates out of dishwasher detergent as a result of states banning it. They decided rather than make two formulations, one with phosphate and a second without, they'd just do away with it entirely. The phosphates in detergent is what keeps the gunk from ending up on your dishes, or staying in your clothes.

Adding a small amount of TSP to your detergent is a cheap and easy way to get the detergents to clean like they used to.

I should have clarified, the TSP isn't for the nozzles. If you have hard water build up in your dishwasher, running it empty with some CLR in the tub should help.

Here's a link to the story - http://www.npr.org/2010/12/15/132072122/it-s-not-your-fault-your-dishes-are-still-dirty

Doug W Swanson
12-19-2011, 3:57 PM
I have the same problem. Usually the dishes are clean but it's the glassware that comes out all cloudy and looking like dog poop. I'm going to try the TSP and see if that helps.

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2011, 9:01 PM
I have the same problem. Usually the dishes are clean but it's the glassware that comes out all cloudy and looking like dog poop. I'm going to try the TSP and see if that helps.

Many dishwashing products will actually etch the glass cloudy over time, and there is no cure once it's etched.

Jay Runde
12-20-2011, 11:45 PM
You may want to check the drain to make sure it isn't partially clogged. I had to do that recently and pulled out about a measuring cup full of debris. It worked much better after that.

Russ Filtz
12-21-2011, 9:01 AM
I thought that was the case for me and/or crappy hard groundwater here in FL. But when my dishwasher broke recently (see thread here!) I've been washing by hand. My glasses are sparkling now! Before I always pretty much washed everything by hand anyway and used the dishwasher as a sanitizing step and was never happy about the results. I may just stay with handwashing and not even buy a new dishwasher.

Ole Anderson
12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Consumers Reports tested many dishwasher detergents and if you want clear glass, Cascade Complete All In One Pacs seemed to be top rated. I just looked and that is what we are using. Seems to work fine. They were required to remove the phosphorous as when it reached the lakes and rivers after going down your sewer, it caused eutrophication. Residential lawn fertilizer won't be too far behind.

Matt Meiser
12-21-2011, 1:39 PM
My parents' old dishwasher wasn't working well and upon inspection I discovered that the spinners were both LOADED with soap particles. They must have weighed a few pounds each. It seems that at some point someone put a jar with a paper label in and the paper bits clogged the nozzles somewhat. The dishwasher kept pumping soap in until they were completely clogged off. After a lot of work I managed to get it all out but replacement probably would have been easier.