PDA

View Full Version : What Tablet for the wife?

Wes Billups
12-17-2011, 6:54 PM
Three years ago I got my wife an Ipod Touch and she has used it everyday since. I'd like to get her a larger tablet as she mostly uses the Touch for email, internet, games, and Netflix movies. What would all of you recommend? Right now I'm leaning toward this but would like to get some opinions.

HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 16 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer
They run about $270 on Amazon.

Are there other tablets out there that have features she shouldn't be without?

This gift may be used to occasionally surf woodworking forums too. Isn't that what gift giving is all about.

Thanks,
Wes

Tim Morton
12-17-2011, 7:02 PM
well if she loves the Touch, then i would go straight to the iPad....you will get there eventually, better to just do it now. Would you want a ryobi table saw?

John McClanahan
12-17-2011, 7:42 PM
HP was advertising that tablet on TV one day and discontinued it the next day, really! While the iPad does cost more, I feel you get what you pay for.

John

Phil Thien
12-17-2011, 8:17 PM
well if she loves the Touch, then i would go straight to the iPad....you will get there eventually, better to just do it now. Would you want a ryobi table saw?

Quit hating on the Ryobi table saw. I like mine.

And I'd also suggest an iPad.

I really like the new Kindle Fire a lot. But if she has enjoyed the Touch, then she needs an iPad.

Derek Gilmer
12-17-2011, 8:48 PM
Having played with both I'd say iPad. The kindle fire seems clunky and slow when I've used it. The iPad (like most apple things) just works and is fast.

Joe Vincent 63
12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
+1 on the IPad. Phenomenal apps written for the device make it a real winner. There is an app for almost anything you can think of. All of the others have limited apps available compared to the ipad.

Matt Meiser
12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
I vote iPad too. I bought one this summer after a lot of looking. All had good and bad points but what I kept coming back to was the fact that iPad market share means lots of aftermarket support for accessories and apps.

HP announced discontinuation of their tablets just a few weeks after launch. One article I read compare them to the Edsel and New Coke. Was that rescinded?

Bruce Page
12-17-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm reading this thread on my iPad so I think you know where I stand.. :)

Matt Meiser
12-18-2011, 9:59 AM
As I thought the touchpad is in fact discontinued. As far as I know, this was the only tablet ever made with WebOS. I would think that does not bode well for future support.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/webos/us/en/index.html

Joel Goodman
12-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately the Apple products play really well together -- so if she likes the iPod get her an iPad -- if you have a Mac with the recent OS then all three devices will happily sync with each other -- and with the iPhone, should you get one. Thank goodness they don't make an iSaw or iPlane! Seriously the beauty of these products is their ease of use -- most features are where you'd expect them to be. If she had an Android phone and liked it then I would suggest an Android tablet so as to stay in one OS -- but once down the Mac path why not stay there?

Bill ThompsonNM
12-18-2011, 9:55 PM
She won't be happy unless you get her an Ipad.... just like a big ipod touch. Anything else.. well do I need to mention doghouse....

George wilmore
12-18-2011, 10:35 PM
iPad I have one and I love it.

Sid Matheny
12-18-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm no help! Got my wife a Kindle Touch reader for Christmas this year and it is the first one for either of us. Yeah still in the dark ages down here.

Sid

Van Huskey
12-19-2011, 5:59 PM
As much as I hate to endorse yet another Apple product the Ipad is THE tablet especially if you aren't a computer geek. My wife rarely touches her laptop now.

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2011, 8:56 PM
Ooooo 'That' kind of Tablet.. I was thinking Valium to slow her shopping down at Christmas..

Art Mulder
12-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Just have to reinforce what everyone has said about AVOIDING the HP touchpad. It may work well, but a discontinued product is a big risk.

I picked up a RIM Playbook for myself back when the price dropped to 299. You can find them now for 199 on sale. Personally I couldn't justify over $500 for the Apple iPad, for the use I would make.

On the whole I am satisfied. The size is nice and compact for portability. It does occasionally prove a problem with screen size. The WiFi works great. I can web browse and facebook and run a few games. (And yes, Angry Birds was JUST released yesterday for it.) The OS is very robust and easy to use.

But I do admit that the iPad has FAR more market share, and FAR FAR more apps out there.
If price were not an issue then I would also endorse the iPad.

Jim Becker
12-22-2011, 3:02 PM
If she's been using an iPod Touch for awhile and has invested in applications and music, I'd absolutely recommend the iPad to move up.