PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a used air compressor?

Troy Turner
12-17-2011, 4:43 PM
Found a guy selling a Delta 5hp 25 gallon upright on wheels. Said he's had it for about 5-6 years. Only problem is the brass drain valve leaks a little. Said he's still able to use it, just may kick on more often than needed.

I need an upgrade from my current to use around the shop, spray occassionally, and work on my truck...

I haven't seen it yet, but he only wants $75 for it.

Model is 66-615-1. Found a manual. Looks like it's oil-less.

Model No. 66-651-1

Running Horsepower 2.0

Bore 2-3/8"Stroke 1.35"

Voltage-Single Phase 120V/60Hz/1Ph
Minimum Branch Circuit Requirement 15 amps*
Fuse Type Time DelayAir Tank Capacity 25Approximate Cut-in Pressure 110 PSIGApproximate Cut-out Pressure
135 PSIGSCFM
@ 40 psig 7.5
SCFM @ 90 psig 5.0

My current compressor is only a 3 gal 1 hp. Does what it's intended to do, but makes spraying anything a bit noisy.

Thanks for any advice.

Greg Bender
12-17-2011, 5:06 PM
Troy,
Keep looking ,that is a oil less unit and it seems like it's probably not been drained very often. If it leaks it probably has a bunch of junk in the tank that is clogging the valve.Find a used unit with an oiled pump and you will be far better off in the long run.
Greg

Bruce Wrenn
12-17-2011, 8:49 PM
I don't remember Delta making a compressor. Most likely it was made by DeVilbiss, as Pentair owned both of them. If it's a DeVilbiss made unit, then it's a good compressor. A picture would be helpful identifying unit. Devilbiss also made PC, some Sears compressors, along with the DeVilbiss line. I've had a Sears Twin stack, a PC twin stack, and a DeVilbiss twin stack that are basically identical, except for color.

Jim Finn
12-17-2011, 8:49 PM
I got rid of my oil-less compressor and got a new Husky from Home Depot. Love it! so quiet!

Troy Turner
12-18-2011, 9:18 AM
Thanks for the good info ya'll.

After some more digging, does look like it's a DeVilbiss built compressor. I know that ones that take oil are probably better noise and maintenance wise, but this is in my budget :) Been lookin around a while for an upgrade, but haven't come up with the gumption to guy a new one of this size anyway.

Probably going to look at it today or tomorrow and give it a good once over. Listen to it run, see how long it takes to get up to pressure, and inspect for more leaks other than the drain valve.

I'll let ya'll know how it comes out...

Thanks again for the help!

Harry Hagan
12-18-2011, 10:33 AM
One can only guess how much wear is actually on the compressor. If it has been used routinely for long periods of time; I wouldn’t touch it.

It could easily have five times the normal wear of a unit without a “leaky” valve and still look great on the exterior. Also, his failure to repair the leak suggests he’s not too concerned about maintenance or excessive wear on the unit—but that will be your problem, not his.

Bill White
12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
A leak can be repaired easily enough. Look at it CAREFULLY. Make sure that the regulator is in working condition so you can vary the air pressure.
Bill

Carroll Courtney
12-18-2011, 5:38 PM
5hp,25gal really?????Another one of those items that is misleading advertisement.-----Carroll

Bruce Wrenn
12-18-2011, 8:28 PM
The piston / ring assembly is available as a service item. Not terribly difficult to install. That and the reed valves are the only moving parts to wear. HD sells replacement petcocks for about $5.

Rick Fisher
12-19-2011, 1:51 AM
Delta had a line of import compressors that it offered a few years back.. They seemed similar to the lower end Campbell Hausfield units.. They where price point machines .. I would question the 5hp part, its probably more of a " Shop vac " 5hp ..