PDA

View Full Version : First Official Hollowform!

Steve Vaughan
12-17-2011, 2:01 PM
I built me a imitation monster articulating arm hollowing rig back in the spring...showed pics of that in a post at that time. Really haven't had a chance to really see how it rocks until recently. This piece of pecan was destined for the fireplace...it was a large scrap from cutting out another bowl blank and I'd actually marked he circle out to make a small vessel and then pitched it. I thought it had too much punky wood and was too soft. Loading wood, I ran across it again and thought I'd give it a shot. Glad I did.

It's about 5" in diameter and about 4" tall I think. The walls are about 3/16" at the opening to around 1/4" at the bottom. Finish is several coats of Watco Natural first soaked in, wiped off, allowed to fully dry, then Watco wet-sanded, then several coats of Deft Semi gloss, sanded, steel-wooled, and waxed. I really like pecan!

I give it to many of you guys. You inspired me to make a hollowing rig by the ones you've made as well as how you've used them. And many of you have inspired me to give a hollow form a try. Thank you all! I've got a couple other hollow forms that I'll post as soon as I get the next round of turnings finished out.

Roger Chandler
12-17-2011, 2:07 PM
pretty nice there Steve........pecan is a striking wood, just as is hickory. I like this.................wish you had a straight on shot to show the curve to the bottom. Congratulations on your hollowing rig..........takes skill to build a rig and use it effectively. Welcome to the hollowing vortex!

John Keeton
12-17-2011, 2:24 PM
A challenging piece of wood, for sure! But, seems like you conquered it quite well. A word of caution - hollow forms can take over your turning world!!! You did an excellent job with this one, and I bet there will be many more in the making.

Rich Aldrich
12-17-2011, 2:27 PM
That is a beautiful piece. Great looking piece of wood. Nice form as well.

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2011, 2:52 PM
Steve - congrats on your first HF! Looks pretty good to me! Beautiful wood! If possible, I agree with Roger in that a profile shot would really say a lot about the form. Hard to tell from top down viewpoints...

Josh Bowman
12-17-2011, 3:03 PM
Steve, great job. Nice wood, form looks good.....I think, I am having to use interpolation. :D Can't wait to see more!

Michelle Rich
12-17-2011, 3:23 PM
super wood & vessel. Glad we got to see the first official one!

charlie knighton
12-17-2011, 4:06 PM
nicely done, congratulations on building your hollowing rig

Steve Vaughan
12-17-2011, 4:10 PM
Thanks everyone! @John, you might be right.:eek: I think I'm gonna enjoy these things! I've got two more I made from some old historic pine out of a cotton mill. The form and shape on them will be a tad better I think...will post those next week.
Anyway, some of you wanted more of a side profile shot, so I put my *professional* photo studio back up and took a few. The lip on the lid really is a bit more pronounced than what the pics show. Here they are, elevated on a small pecan, unfinished bowl thing.

John Keeton
12-17-2011, 4:23 PM
Steve, from the new views, the form seems to be more of an oblong and given that, I would suggest not having a "rise" to the opening. It seems to be somewhat out of balance with the lower portion of the form. A more defined base and upward curvature on the lower portion will better support a rise to the opening.

Just some thoughts.

Nate Davey
12-17-2011, 4:40 PM
Nicely done on your first HF Steve. All the more satisfying having built your own hollowing rig. I'm hopefully starting my articulated hollower this week.

David DeCristoforo
12-17-2011, 5:45 PM
Well, there may be plenty to ways you could improve on this but it is, without question, a hollow form, it is in one piece, it has a respectably small opening and it's a great looking chunk of wood. So for a first attempt, I give it an "A"

Jim Burr
12-17-2011, 6:52 PM
To offer a contrariety opinion...it's rather well done! Since wood turned "art" is a new thing, there isn't a clear picture of what's good or bad. I did an opening like that last year and got a smack down for it...the bevel isn't popular. Look at it with a narrow foot and that should be it! Finish is very nice...you should be proud!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2011, 6:56 PM
Really nice HF. Finish looks good. Can't add much as to what has already been said.

David E Keller
12-17-2011, 7:17 PM
Nicely done! Congrats on breaking in the new rig! Beautiful wood and finish, too! Heck of a first!

Ken Hill
12-17-2011, 8:13 PM
That rascal looks great! Hmmmm, theres that Keeton voice in my head again.....:D

John Keeton
12-17-2011, 9:03 PM
Ken, do you notice yourself thinking of hollow forms in your quiet moments?? It is the "force" pulling you in......it is just a matter of time.

Tim Rinehart
12-17-2011, 9:33 PM
Very nice Steve. I commend you for also making your rig as it will help you in developing those tools that work best for you ...though not always pretty.
Nicely shaped piece. Once I built my hollowing rig, I was ruined.
enjoy!

Bill Bolen
12-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Beautiful piece. Man I love that soft glow to it! First or 41's it's a beaut. And using your shop-made hollowing tool makes it just that much better.