PDA

View Full Version : Elm Bowl

Randy Gazda
12-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I drove by an older gentlemen cutting up a very large 216151216150216152
elm tree in his front yard this fall. I stopped to see if he needed some help loading the wood on his truck. After helping him I asked if I could have a few pieces for turning. He told me take want you want but it is all junk and wet and rotten. Well I picked a few pieces that looked to have promise and roughed a bowl out of one. After drying in some brown paper bags for a few months, I finished turning it this morning. I think it looks pretty good and I definitely like the character of the wood. The finish is walnut oil, and about 7" in diameter and 5 inches tall. Sorry the photos aren't better I need to work on my photography skills.

My plan is to stop by and give the bowl to the gentlemen.

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Randy - that sure is some pretty wood! The older gent is going to love the gift!

Dennis Ford
12-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Nice work, he will like it. Giving a piece like this back to the wood donor will help enlarge your wood supply.

David DeCristoforo
12-17-2011, 1:27 PM
That's a sweet looking bowl. But I just gotta ask (I'm amazed that no one else has). How in the heck did you turn the glass part?!?! Amazing!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2011, 7:02 PM
Really nice bowl and he is going to love it.

Randy Gazda
12-17-2011, 7:02 PM
That's a sweet looking bowl. But I just gotta ask (I'm amazed that no one else has). How in the heck did you turn the glass part?!?! Amazing!
Well I am glad you asked, you start with a good beer bottle in the chuck and turn up the speed as high it will go and then (ok that is all my lawyer will let me tell you). LOL!

David E Keller
12-17-2011, 7:52 PM
Nicely done and a nice gesture on your part!

John Keeton
12-17-2011, 9:07 PM
Nice bowl, Randy, and a very nice gesture - but, we gotta work on the photo setup!!!!