PDA

View Full Version : More bowls from boards

Chris Colman
12-16-2011, 5:04 PM
Been experimenting with making bowls from 3/4 board stock.

They are made out of cedar, moradillo, walnut and a checkerboard one made out of maple and cherry.

Moradillo (bolivian rosewood) is a funny wood. Smells like coffee when you turn it. I could not get WOP to set up on it, it stayed gummy for days. I cleaned it off and put on a friction polish instead.

Going to do some more experimenting with some veneer glue-ups. I will post when I get some made.

C&C welcome.

Merry Christmas!

John Keeton
12-16-2011, 5:08 PM
Nice work, Chris - the walnut would be my pick!

Bill White
12-16-2011, 5:11 PM
Looks great. What about some edge shots? Maybe showing the thickness? What was your final finish? Any reason to try the WOP first rather than a oil,wax, or standard varnish?
Bill

Kevin Lucas
12-16-2011, 5:43 PM
The walnut has my vote as well. I can't even see seam lines and the grain match and pattern is great )

Donny Lawson
12-16-2011, 6:26 PM
Great pieces. The Walnut one looks to have no lines at all.

Deane Allinson
12-16-2011, 6:38 PM
Vote walnut too. The Moradillo is a beautiful wood and polishes out nicely. Watch out though, I had to get steroid shots because of it when I was making boxes. I don't use it any more.
Deane

Chris Colman
12-16-2011, 6:38 PM
Looks great. What about some edge shots? Maybe showing the thickness? What was your final finish? Any reason to try the WOP first rather than a oil,wax, or standard varnish?
Bill

Here are some side shots.

I like gloss poly finishes, and WOP is quick and easy to apply.

I have never tried oil or wax finishes, or varnish. I have had real good luck with polyurethane, except over oily woods like morado or cocobolo.

For the morado I used Mylands friction polish.

Allan Ferguson
12-16-2011, 6:42 PM
Nice work and I like them all.

Bill Hensley
12-16-2011, 6:47 PM
I'm liking them all as well. I think I'll glue up some boards...

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Really nice bowls but I am partial to walnut.

Joe Watson
12-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Cool stuff... i too dig the walnut because... well... its walnut :) and your glue up and grain matching was great - looking on the inside, its really hard to spot the glue lines, really nice job. The colors of the Moradillo and Cedar are really appealing, thats some nice wood.

Robert Newton
12-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Like the bowls, similar to what I make using a Ringmaster with very little waste.

Baxter Smith
12-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Nice work. I like them all and the grain patterns are very interesting to look at.

Michelle Rich
12-17-2011, 6:13 AM
glad to see BfromB's here. I have made so many I can't count. they were my best sellers for eons. I went thru a spell where I tried to "upgrade" the devils and make them more palatable to " died in the wool" turners. The 2nd one is my favorite. the color is wonderful. Well done.

Justin Stephen
12-17-2011, 8:50 AM
Agreed, love the moradillo one in particular. What spectacular wood. I like that you offset the grain slightly (a look I prefer on most bowl-from-a-board pieces) but kept it close enough that the light and dark stayed together with the base on the inside.

Paul Williams
12-17-2011, 11:59 AM
I really like the way the grain hides the seams on the walnut bowl. Also interesting grain pattern on number two.