PDA

View Full Version : Old Hammer with "epoxy" heads, where to find replacement heads

Andrew Pitonyak
12-16-2011, 3:42 PM
I have some old hammers with wood handles. On the end of the handle is a metal head. Screwed into the metal head are "soft" cylinders that look like that are made of shellac (but they are much harder than that). One of my Father's is so old that the head had totally crumbled from age. I was able to clean most of this crumbled head out and I only stabbed myself once; yeah, it bled....

So, two questions...

1. What I can use to really clean that stuff out of the threads in the metal? Acetone?

2. Where can I purchase a replacement insert that will screw into the head itself.

I have a few very old screw drivers with clear plastic handles that also deteriorated in this way.

Jim Matthews
12-16-2011, 5:40 PM
Ammo shops should have gun cleaning brushes (http://www.brushescorp.com/Gun_Brushes.htm) - don't stick your finger in there.
Any metal burrs in the threaded end will be sharp, as you already know.

Grainger supplies soft-face (aka split-head) tips (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=sof+face+hammer+tip&op=search&Ntt=sof+face+hammer+tip&N=0&sst=subset).
Grainger (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/branchSearchResults.shtml?mapCursor=176&currentAction=viewMap&mapResizeURL=&branchSearchSuccess=success.branchsearch&branchSearchError=success.branchsearch&searchType=state&searchValue=) has two offices listed near Columbus, OH.

Jim
Westport, MA

Andrew Pitonyak
12-16-2011, 11:32 PM
I will check out Grainger's site after they bring it back up :-)

I do have access to firearm cleaning equipment, I can try some brass brushes and similar.

Larry Edgerton
12-17-2011, 7:02 AM
My pops was a gunsmith and had a couple of those hammers that did the same thing. I made a couple of heads for him out of high molecular plastic that have been working for him for a while now. I can send you a piece of stock if you want to make some for your hammer. Let me know....

Larry

Andrew Pitonyak
12-17-2011, 10:13 AM
My pops was a gunsmith and had a couple of those hammers that did the same thing. I made a couple of heads for him out of high molecular plastic that have been working for him for a while now. I can send you a piece of stock if you want to make some for your hammer. Let me know....

Larry

Sounds like a fun project... Did you turn the material on a lathe to turn it into a cylinder and then use a large die to cut the threads?

Larry Edgerton
12-17-2011, 6:49 PM
Sounds like a fun project... Did you turn the material on a lathe to turn it into a cylinder and then use a large die to cut the threads?

I cut out cores with a hole saw, starting the cut with the center bit in place until it was drilled about as deep as the stud on the hammer. Then I removed the center bit from the hole saw and continued through the material. I then cleaned them up on a metal lathe, then tapped the center hole one size too small and threaded them on the hammer. Seemed to work fine but dad has a gentle touch, so I am not sure how much abuse they will take.

I don't know how it would turn on a wood lathe, never tried, but I do know that plastics can get to vibrating when machining sometimes so if you try it be careful. I've had plastic parts get wierd on my in the shaper a couple of times but was using a power feed so no damage.

Larry

Jim Matthews
12-17-2011, 7:28 PM
Did you turn the material on a lathe to turn it into a cylinder and then use a large die to cut the threads?

The threaded section is just a press fit bolt.
You can do the same thing, cutting a countersink for the bolt head - or just buy the $3 replacement which will fit better.

It's a hammer, not a musical instrument.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-17-2011, 10:07 PM
The threaded section is just a press fit bolt.
You can do the same thing, cutting a countersink for the bolt head - or just buy the $3 replacement which will fit better.

On this particular hammer, the entire head is threaded. All of my hammers of this type are done this way, but they are also rather old.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I cut out cores with a hole saw, starting the cut with the center bit in place until it was drilled about as deep as the stud on the hammer. Then I removed the center bit from the hole saw and continued through the material.

That part I think that I can do.

I then cleaned them up on a metal lathe, then tapped the center hole one size too small and threaded them on the hammer. Seemed to work fine but dad has a gentle touch, so I am not sure how much abuse they will take.

Would need to think about that part. I don't actually own a lathe and on this hammer, the entire insert is threaded. If I can find a decent way to thread something, I might be able to handle it. Depending, I might even be able to simply use a hard wood dowel.

I don't use this type of hammer for "serious" whacking.

Keith Westfall
12-18-2011, 1:54 AM
A long time ago, you used to be able to buy from Snap-On Tools the type of hammer and tips that I think you are describing. Might give you local dealer a call - but if it is available, it will cost you :)

Don't think Snap-On has anything cheap...

Ken Whitney
12-18-2011, 5:45 AM
Give McMaster-Carr a try.

Larry Edgerton
12-18-2011, 8:56 AM

If you are working on a Purdy, its a musical instrument......

Andrew Pitonyak
12-18-2011, 6:15 PM
Give McMaster-Carr a try.

I think they have the exact head...