PDA

View Full Version : A possible problem

Jerry Marcantel
12-16-2011, 1:13 PM
A short while back I posted that I got a Rockwell 46-450 lathe.Everything worked like it should, I suppose, as I really don't know how it should work. For the last couple weeks I've been using it because it's a little more convenient than my other lathe.
Today I noticed that going from full RPM's, 3200, back down to below 1800 rpm's was ok, but to get to any of the lower rpms, the lever was getting hard to move and giving me a springy feel. I would need to give the lever a push/pull type of action to get it to go down to 340 rpm. I pulled the cover and started the lathe while watching what was going on, and it looks like the sliding pullypart doesn't want to slide to lower the rpms. I didn't get a manual with the lathe, so don't have a clue what to do. I could see the spring stretching giving me that springy feel.
Has anyone had this problem before, and can that middle pulleypart be lubed to make it slide better without dissassembling the Reeves Drive?? If so, how do you get lube to it without contaminating the belts?...... Thanks in advance. ....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Bill Bolen
12-16-2011, 1:24 PM
I do monthly maint on my jet 1442 (same drive system) and blowing out the dust then spraying some liquid graphite onto the shaft on all sides really helps. Once the graphite is sprayed on it dries instantly. Move the lever from high to low till all is covered. I usually do the motor shaft also. My graphite can came with one of those little straw thingies so the spray can be shot between the slots on the pulleys right onto the spindle shaft.Once while on high speed and once on low speed should cover the entire area the pulley slides on.

Harry Robinette
12-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure but is there a hoke on the end of the stand? If so you'll have a zert fitting for grease in the end of the reeves drive shaft and you grease it through that hole.Thats how my General is set-up and allot of the older lathes too.