PDA

View Full Version : Elm Pot

Jon McElwain
12-16-2011, 1:05 PM
This pot was turned wet from a ~6" dia. Elm branch and was dried in a microwave. I wanted to try some stitching, so I dried it quickly to produce some cracks. It warped nicely around the pith which runs through the lower portion of the bowl, approximately 1/2" from the bottom. The stitching is hemp chord sealed with CA. Finish is sedona red stain, and satin WOP to seal. Dimensions are approximately 4-1/4" X 4-3/4" X 3" tall and a consistent 1/8" thick. The texture was accomplished with a wire brush.

Comments and critiques on form, finish, photos, etc. appreciated!

216016 216018 216020

Bill Hensley
12-16-2011, 1:15 PM
Cool finish, very unique overall, I like it.

Ken Hill
12-16-2011, 1:19 PM
Nice in its own right, the stitching just adds some serious character in my book!

Bill Bolen
12-16-2011, 1:20 PM
Love the texture. Can almost feel it in my hands.

Baxter Smith
12-16-2011, 2:43 PM
Neat shape and the stitching adds interest, but the texture is the winner for me Jon. Thats a very appealing pot!

John Keeton
12-16-2011, 2:49 PM
Talk about organic looking! Really neat - great form and the finish is excellent for the piece.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-16-2011, 4:06 PM
Amazing bit of work there - the texture from the wire brush will stay in my head for ever - "must try" list etc!

Jim Burr
12-16-2011, 4:15 PM
Lot of effort there Jon...really paid off.

David E Keller
12-16-2011, 10:30 PM
That's cool! I like the stitching, but I've not figured out how to make it look 'finished' inside and out... Any chance you snapped a shot showing the stitching on the inside of the form?

The texture on this piece is wonderful!

Steve Vaughan
12-16-2011, 10:35 PM
OK, I'll be different by adding one more thought. I love this little bowl, really interesting looking. The stitching, grain, and color, it all works nicely, sort of makes you want to pick it up. Nice pics you took too, they show it off very well.

Jon McElwain
12-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Gee, thanks fellas! I didn't know what to expect from the pot. To be honest, it was one big experiment. A second attempt at it turned out poorly. Again, thanks for the comments!

Amazing bit of work there - the texture from the wire brush will stay in my head for ever - "must try" list etc!
The wire brush works well on some woods and pathetically on others. I tried on some alder a while back and it didn't do a thing. The winter growth in this Elm is brittle (or became so after the microwave treatment) and takes a wire brush well. I would like to try a sandblaster one of these times, but at present, I do not have access to one.

That's cool! I like the stitching, but I've not figured out how to make it look 'finished' inside and out... Any chance you snapped a shot showing the stitching on the inside of the form?

The texture on this piece is wonderful!

David, the possibility exists that the photographer was careful to not show too much of the inside due to the unkempt appearance of the non-surgical-like sutures! :o

Joe Watson
12-16-2011, 11:31 PM
David, the possibility exists that the photographer was careful to not show too much of the inside due to the unkempt appearance of the non-surgical-like sutures! :oNot sure what i like better, your work behind the lathe or behind the keyboard :)
Nice job both ways, you definitively gave this piece personality.

Jon McElwain
12-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Not sure what i like better, your work behind the lathe or behind the keyboard :)
Nice job both ways, you definitively gave this piece personality.

That got a chuckle! Amazing what a few clicks of the keys will do. I think I like it in the photos better than in person! Really, there are a lot of folks here who have been super generous with their knowledge - these are absolutely better photos than I would have taken a year ago because of it.

Michelle Rich
12-17-2011, 6:15 AM
oooohhh ooohhh this is wonderful..love the slumpy shape, and the grain lines & the stitching. I usually don't like stains, but this color is wonderful. SUPER!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2011, 9:26 AM
Really a nice rustic look and the stitching really adds to it.

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2011, 10:21 AM
You've created a real winner with this piece Jon! Color is great, stitches are cool but it is the warp/texture mix that really makes this piece different! Cool stuff!

Richard Jones
12-17-2011, 4:04 PM
Jon,

Elm is one of my favorites, and this is really a cool piece. Just to let you know, I will be stealing the wire brush idea for some pieces in the very near future.

Thanks for posting, really love the effect.

Rich

Rich Aldrich
12-17-2011, 5:44 PM
This is a really nice piece. I really like the stitching.