PDA

View Full Version : Smoothest Plunge on a Router

Andrew Joiner
12-16-2011, 1:02 PM
I'm building a mortiser that needs precise plunging. Leaning toward a new Makita RP2301FC.

Is the Makita RP2301FC the only router with a linear ball bearing plunge mechanism?
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/th/content_26/Q4_2009/makita-plunge-box2-lg.jpg
Does Festool use bushings or bearings?

My PC and Hitachi use bronze bushings to slide on the plunge rods.

I'm looking for a smooth accurate plunging router. The return springs on my PC are so strong they would hinder this application. My old Hitachi m12v retracts with less "POP" so it may work.

Any one tried the Makita RP2301FC?

John Coloccia
12-16-2011, 1:08 PM
I don't know about bearings but the Festool routers I've tried are silky smooooooth.

glenn bradley
12-16-2011, 2:52 PM
I would worry more about quality of design and build than the approach. One of the things that drew me to the Milwaukee plunge routers (bushings) is that they are so well aligned you can plunge with one hand. Not sure if that quality holds true today with all the company absorption going on over the last few years. For your mortiser you would probably disable the springs any way. You want travel control not return tension, eh? That Makita looks like a pretty sweet machine; lots of really nice features for the price.

pat warner
12-16-2011, 4:21 PM
Have studied. Smoothest plunge in 2hp range: DW 621 & Bosch 1166.
Best in bigger machines: Festool 2200, followed x DW 625.

Derrell W Sloan
12-16-2011, 4:51 PM
I have the DW 621 as well as the DW 625 and both are very very smooth. By the way if you get a DW 621, I would highly recommenced one of Pat Warner's bases for it.

John Coloccia
12-16-2011, 6:12 PM
FWIW, one of the smoothest plunge routers I've ever owned is a Craftsman version of the of the Bosch. Far smoother than the actual Bosch base, IMHO. In fact, I got it specifically because I was routing a channel with a curved bottom and controlling the curve by plunging the router and controlling the depth freehand.

Anyhow, it's surprising but it's a very nice base...at least the one I got is.

Neil Brooks
12-16-2011, 6:21 PM
I'd defer to Pat Warner, on this issue, but ... since it looks like the 1166 base IS the one that came with my 1617EVSPK, I'd surely agree: I've never worked with the Festool, so it could BE better, but the Bosch is verrrrry smooth.

Van Huskey
12-16-2011, 7:11 PM
Based on the 2301 you mention you are interested in a big router, the sweetest plunge on a big router I have used is the Festool, but I have not used the current ~3hp Mikita plunger.

Ellery Becnel
12-16-2011, 8:50 PM
I purchased the Bosch combo set. I compaired it to the PC equivalent. The bosch was highly rated for ultra smooth in comparrison
to PC. I went to the nearest retailer and engaged the plunge mechanism. To me it was no comparison. If you can put hands on them,
it will help in your decision.
Also, if you are looking for ultra precission, Pat Warner's bases are a must. He is very helpful in providing you satisfaction and repeatability.