PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Stop or How Large...

James Combs
12-16-2011, 11:30 AM
...to make them.

Again its my Sister, she ordered a bottle stopper out of spalted Maple for her boss so I made up three of them for her to select from and also bought bottle stopper display cases to put them in.

Here are the three I made.

However, after the first two I got out the cases and compared them to the stoppers and no way was they going to fit. So I made a smaller one insuring that it fit the case.

Here is a comparison of the three and the case.

A question, what is the typical size of a bottle stopper, I don't use or have a need for them so they are a new experience for me.? Am I making them too large in general?

C&C appreciated on the stoppers also. These are Ruth Niles stoppers, all finished with 11 Coats of CA, wet(water) sanded to 12000.

Edit: You can see some of my other stoppers here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173240-Displays-Do-They-Help&highlight=).

Sid Matheny
12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Nice looking stoppers James. I have seen BS boxes from 3 5/16 to 5 1/4 but don't know that there is a typical size for stoppers.

Sid

Marty Eargle
12-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I think a lot of it depends on shape of the stopper. I started making them recently and I have some smaller, more practical pieces as well as some larger natural edge pieces that are more for show.

All of the stoppers you're showing look good to me. Great looking wood, also.

Doug W Swanson
12-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Nice looking stoppers, James.

I generally make my stoppers about 1.5" to 2" tall (not including the stopper). I know some people like the bigger ones but I prefer the small to medium size (like your small one).

Bill Hensley
12-16-2011, 1:29 PM
James, the stoppers look great.

The biggest problem I see with making them too long is that it may cause a storage problem. For a liquor bottle it may be too tall to go in cabinet and if wine or 2 liter soft drink it may also be too tall to fit in the frig.

Jon McElwain
12-16-2011, 1:43 PM

The biggest problem I see with making them too long is that it may cause a storage problem. For a liquor bottle it may be too tall to go in cabinet and if wine or 2 liter soft drink it may also be too tall to fit in the frig.

My thoughts exactly. I like the look of the tall stopper, but it wouldn't fit in my refrigerator or wine cabinet. Good looking stoppers!

Jim Burr
12-16-2011, 4:21 PM
I tend to go wider rather than taller, just easier to pull off. Typically I'll hold it to 3" and even that is tall. 1.5-2" seems to be good.

Dahl Troy Perry
12-16-2011, 4:46 PM
Nice looking stoppers James .BUT what do you do with them????:confused: When I open a bottle the only thing left is air :D

James Combs
12-16-2011, 7:11 PM
Based on a summary of of your all's comments I either need to find larger boxes or make smaller stoppers:) I guess for the interim I will do a little of both.:)

Nice looking stoppers James. I have seen BS boxes from 3 5/16 to 5 1/4 but don't know that there is a typical size for stoppers.
Sid
Thanks Sid, I will look for some larger boxes for my larger stoppers.

I think a lot of it depends on shape of the stopper. I started making them recently and I have some smaller, more practical pieces as well as some larger natural edge pieces that are more for show.
All of the stoppers you're showing look good to me. Great looking wood, also.
Thanks Marty, I will be scaling mine down a little based on some of these comments. And hmmm... never thought of NE for bottle stopper, will be looking into that.

Nice looking stoppers, James.
I generally make my stoppers about 1.5" to 2" tall (not including the stopper). I know some people like the bigger ones but I prefer the small to medium size (like your small one).
Thanks Doug, never really thought about size until I got my first boxes:o.

My thoughts exactly. I like the look of the tall stopper, but it wouldn't fit in my refrigerator or wine cabinet. Good looking stoppers!
Thanks Bill & Jon, like I mentioned above, never really thought about their size until now. Frig and cabinet height are definitely considerations.:rolleyes:

I tend to go wider rather than taller, just easier to pull off. Typically I'll hold it to 3" and even that is tall. 1.5-2" seems to be good.
Thanks Jim, I will definitely be limiting the size of my future stoppers if for no other reason then the frig and cabinet issue.

Nice looking stoppers James .BUT what do you do with them????:confused: When I open a bottle the only thing left is air :D
Well Dahl I have to agree with you on that one.;) But, someone must use them for something, I have sold quite a few of them.:D

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2011, 10:46 PM
James those are really nice looking stoppers. Like the others 2 1/2" is my tallest.