PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 capacity

Paul Williams
12-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Just checking the capacity of my lathe.

This is the base and root ball from a tree my son cut down at his new house several months ago. Not sure what type of tree. The wood was a little soft and punky and came off as dust in several places. I thought it was pretty dry. After turnig the outside to rough shape I put on some BLO just to see what it was going to look like and to see if it would hold the dust down when finish turning. I got called away and thought I would be right back so I didn't seal it. 30 hours later it showed several cracks radiating from the pith. I turned away most of the cracks and put super glue and sawdust in those that remained. Rough turned the inside and wrapped it up. My son won't be seeing this one under his tree this Christmas. I would have just tossed it but it came from my son's first project at his first house, so I will do whatever it takes to get something out of this piece. I know I should not have left the pith in but it was really difficult to see that their was a pith hidden in all of the roots and grain direction changes.