PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel door software

Jack Wilson
12-16-2011, 8:43 AM
Hello everyone, I am looking for a free software program that will generate a cut list of door parts for cabinet doors/drawers. If you are aware of any please post!

Thanks,
Jack

Charles Lent
12-16-2011, 12:26 PM
What I have is not Free, but it's very reasonably priced and works well. Only $24.99 from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=cabinet+door+software&gb=1

Charley

Larry Fox
12-16-2011, 12:51 PM
If you have Excel scripting skills it is pretty easily written.

Don Jarvie
12-16-2011, 1:36 PM
Jack, make sure your operating system is compatable with the software. The program looks good but it won't run on Vista. For some reason there is no upgrade yet.

Jeff Bratt
12-16-2011, 2:21 PM
I have a door dimensions Excel spreadsheet posted on my website (http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Ejeffnann/WoodWorking/WoodWorking.html) - http://home.roadrunner.com/~jeffnann/WoodWorking/Shop/Doors2.xls

There is also another fairly popular spreadsheet by Roger Medbery called Just Doors that is posted in many places:
just one example - http://user.xmission.com/~sherwin/download1.htm. Google to find many more...

A spreadsheet can be modified to suit your needs much more easily than a stand-alone program.

Michael Roland
12-16-2011, 3:39 PM
Jack, make sure your operating system is compatable with the software. The program looks good but it won't run on Vista. For some reason there is no upgrade yet.

The software works fine on Windows 7.

M Toupin
12-16-2011, 6:04 PM

Mike

scott vroom
12-16-2011, 6:11 PM
Stiles - Total lineal inches * width inches
Rails - Total lineal inches * width inches
Panels - Length * width

Add it all up and divide by 144 to get finished square feet.
Multiply by 130% for scrap/mistakes

There ya go......free software :D

Jack Wilson
12-16-2011, 7:06 PM
Thanks to MOST of you for your suggestions,:), the real deal is that though I get the basic gist of the door measurements, I know that its not straight ahead. The rails extend into the stiles, so that length is somewhat longer than face value, and the panels need to be smaller than the groove in the rails and stiles allow, allowing for expansion. So while I am sure that these numbers are simple enough, I am not, at this time, sure exactly what to add or subtract to arrive at the correct dimensions.
And there you have it!

Steve Griffin
12-16-2011, 8:32 PM
Thanks to MOST of you for your suggestions,:), the real deal is that though I get the basic gist of the door measurements, I know that its not straight ahead. The rails extend into the stiles, so that length is somewhat longer than face value, and the panels need to be smaller than the groove in the rails and stiles allow, allowing for expansion. So while I am sure that these numbers are simple enough, I am not, at this time, sure exactly what to add or subtract to arrive at the correct dimensions.And there you have it!

Well you have to know how you want to build the door before thinking about the cutlist. Once you decide on length of tenons, width of rails, tolerance for panels etc the cutlist is easy.

I'm a fan of spreadsheets, as they can easily be modified for different methods of construction. For example, when I build inset doors, I input height and width of faceframe opening, and the spreadsheet calculates all the parts that build a door the height of the opening and 1/16 less width. This gives me a nice size to cut down to the actual opening. When building overlay doors, I like to input in the net size and let the computer give me a door cutlist which produces a door 1/8" bigger to allow for final sizing.

Attached is the basic spreadsheet I use for doors showing the cell formulas. At the beginning of each job I check/update the formulas and then fill them down the sheet. Input your door openings and it does the rest. Not shown are hidden cells which figure total linear feet of stile and rail. The same format can be used for drawer boxes.

If you are not familiar with spreadsheets, consider taking an evening and learn how to do the basics. You will be amazed at how easy they are to learn and how useful they can be for all sorts of things.