PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Old Zippo Lighters

Tim Bateson
12-16-2011, 8:16 AM
I had a customer inquire about having several old and well used Zippo lighters engraved. I responded that if there was any fuel in these, then No, I would not.

Today he responded with a nasty email telling me I had no idea what I was doing & he would find someone who did know something about lasering.

In all reality, I'm guessing there are few issues. The laser pulses are fast and only minimal heat is applied. HOWEVER, I have way too much money in my equipment & my house to take a chance for a $10 job.

Dan Hintz
12-16-2011, 8:20 AM
Today he responded with a nasty email telling me I had no idea what I was doing & he would find someone who did know something about lasering.

Likely little issue... but that's not the kind of customer you want to deal with anyway. If their first reaction to a 'no' is to fly off of the handle, let them fly in someone else's hair.

David Fairfield
12-16-2011, 8:43 AM
Dan is right. And put that guy's email address right into your spam filter, in case he comes back later, after you've forgotten his name.

On the lighters, I woudn't be too concerned about the fire hazard of the old style Zippo, you can take it apart and empty it anyway. The plastic disposable ones, with the liquid that turns to gas, those I'd be wary of.
Dave

Dee Gallo
12-16-2011, 9:23 AM
Tim, good decision, that's not the kind of person you want to deal with...especially for $10.

Mike Null
12-16-2011, 9:42 AM
Tim

You're better off without that customer but there is no risk. The lighter portion removes easily from the case in the old and new Zippos.

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2011, 7:51 PM
$10.00??? My minimum for anything w/Cermark is $17.50 (If 'good' artwork is supplied, or text only. 5sq. inch minimum @$3.50 per sq. inch) If it's a industrial job, the minimum is 10 sq. inches..I had a neighbor bring in a older metal (Stainless Chinesium) lighter that was a butane refillable, and I told her no.. The zippos with 'lighter fluid' are no problem, Acrylic fumes are probably more flammable, but butane.. nope..I don't like explosions in my machine..

Mark Ross
12-21-2011, 2:16 PM
The shell and the fuel separate, all he has to do is send in just the shell. Not sure why he flew off the handle...probably needs them last minute for the yearly lunacy known as the "holiday season"...