PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Skil tool that was made in China?

Amin Djellaoui
12-16-2011, 4:46 AM
Hello, The first power tool I ever saw was a Skil corded drill. That tool has extensively served for many many years and it's still working although it needs some maintenance. I have two other skil tools made in Europe, they're not as tough as my old skil drill but they're decent tools. I recently looked for Skil tools in my place and what I discovered was really sad: All skil tools in my country are made in China! The official importer doesn't buy tools from Europe anymore. Everybody told me that they are of the same quality but I couldn't believe it. The skil plunge router costs between 116 and 160 USD while the cheapest made in Japan Makita router is sold at 226 USD along with a quality straight bit. The Skil is sometimes sold with three router bits for the same price! That should tell about the quality... This seems to be a special line of junk products for three world countries, a good tool costs a lot more than that.. Good bye skil tools!

Jim Matthews
12-16-2011, 8:15 AM
Quality control in mainland Chinese factories is excellent with small machines.
If you purchase German or Swedish steel drill bits you should have a workable tool for many years.

That said, the slave labor used to produce them is an international shame.
If you have a choice - and you may not - support genuinely "free" enterprises.

I do, but things in the US of A are cheap.

Matt Day
12-16-2011, 8:19 AM
Yes, I buy tools that are made in China. I do however try to take into consideration the price, quality, and location of manufacture. Chinese made products normally rate very high on the price and quality.

There have been lots of threads about buy-American which turn way too political, which is a no-no in the General ww'ing forum.

David Weaver
12-16-2011, 9:19 AM
From skil -some things, yes, like a circular saw.

But a router, no. If I buy a router, I hope for it to be as accurate as possible, and I've never seen a skill router that I thought much of.

There are made in china routers I wouldn't be offended by, though, like hitachi, etc. I have no clue where my bosch router is made, maybe malaysia or something. Both are fine.

Amin Djellaoui
12-16-2011, 3:05 PM
Quality control in mainland Chinese factories is excellent with small machines.
If you purchase German or Swedish steel drill bits you should have a workable tool for many years.

That said, the slave labor used to produce them is an international shame.
If you have a choice - and you may not - support genuinely "free" enterprises.

I do, but things in the US of A are cheap.

In the US, quality standards are high and must be respected. In mine however, made in PRC stuff is the cheapest junk thing you can get. So it's a bit frustrating when they make things correctly, how am I gonna know?! Add to that the nonexistence of warranty and parts and all of that.

All I want is to get a good tool, even if it's gonna cost me twice as much.

Amin Djellaoui
12-16-2011, 3:08 PM
Yes, I buy tools that are made in China. I do however try to take into consideration the price, quality, and location of manufacture. Chinese made products normally rate very high on the price and quality.

There have been lots of threads about buy-American which turn way too political, which is a no-no in the General ww'ing forum.

I very seldom see made in USA products in my place but I have to admit they're of good quality. Sometimes highly priced but worth it.

Howard Acheson
12-16-2011, 4:18 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the brand Skil Tools is owned by Bosch. Skil Tools is positioned in their product line as closer to home handi-man than to Professional grade. Bosch branded tools are aimed at the professional user.

Jim Matthews
12-16-2011, 5:25 PM
What's the import restriction on goods coming from the EU?

The Metabo line seems reliable. Do you have reliable suppliers from France?
I've lived outside the US, and know how the trade magazines will advertise things unobtainable.

It's maddening, really.

I would start with a UK company with some history in export business - Toolstop (http://www.toolstop.co.uk/), for example.
If they won't fill your order, they might point you in the direction of a supplier that will.

It seems to me that you may have identified a niche business for yourself.

One last word - I would only consider products that have a warranty valid in your region.

Jim
Westport, MA
USA

Mike Archambeau
12-16-2011, 6:19 PM
How about a quality Festool made in Europe? High quality, long life, fair trade, and fair labor practices. Whats not to like about that?

Amin Djellaoui
12-16-2011, 6:32 PM
I don't know where do Metabo tools come from but they don't have warranty as far as I know.

The only people who offered me a warranty were those who import for DeWalt and Black&Decker. But they have no tools available right now, everything sold out!

Perles have parts available but I don't know whether they offer warranty, they have nothing right now.

Rod Sheridan
12-17-2011, 1:19 PM
No, I wouldn't buy a drill made in China, or anything else if I had a choice.

I refuse to purchase from countries that have low wages, poor human rights or environmental track records.

Since I have a choice with drills, I would buy one made in Canada, USA, or the EU.

I have a great Hilti drill, and if I ever buy a cordless it would probably be a Festool..............Regards, Rod.

David Kumm
12-17-2011, 1:32 PM
I don't like to buy Chinese but not because of low wages, lack of human rights or poor environmental policy. History repeats itself. Chinese manufacturing is little different from US manufacturing 75 to 100 years ago. Long hours, low wages, everything pumped into the air and water. As our standard of living rose and we did not spend our entire lives dealing with survival we got better at those issues. It's not fair to expect the rest of the world to skip the steps to economic prosperity that we evolved through. In the meantime I'll try to buy high quality stuff wherever it comes from. Hopefully the Chinese will evolve to our standards and we will evolve to their level of ambition. Dave

Andrew Joiner
12-17-2011, 1:41 PM
I don't like to buy Chinese but not because of low wages, lack of human rights or poor environmental policy. History repeats itself. Chinese manufacturing is little different from US manufacturing 75 to 100 years ago. Long hours, low wages, everything pumped into the air and water. As our standard of living rose and we did not spend our entire lives dealing with survival we got better at those issues. It's not fair to expect the rest of the world to skip the steps to economic prosperity that we evolved through. In the meantime I'll try to buy high quality stuff wherever it comes from. Hopefully the Chinese will evolve to our standards and we will evolve to their level of ambition. Dave

Thanks David,
Well said. I totally agree.

Jim Andrew
12-18-2011, 3:21 AM
My experience with skil tools has been pretty poor. Makita tools on the other hand, last near a lifetime. I used to replace my skil saw every house, bought a makita, and after about 10 years, bought another. Only reason the old mak had to be replaced was I had an employee who dropped it out of the garage attic onto the floor 3 times in one day. The bottom plate was so bent, you could hardly saw with it. I took it apart and hammered it flat, was able to use it afterwards. Still wasn't like new. You can ruin any tool, if you try hard enough.

keith micinski
12-18-2011, 9:24 AM

While this is a true statement and one that I tend to agree with to a point the big difference is that now worldwide economies operate at a different level then they did a 100 years ago and the Chinese have had a long time to learn from past mistakes. Also I think the skill tools are a lesser brand not because they are made in China but because they are made to certain sector of the market that probably values price over quality a little more then the festool guy. Unfortunately it sounds like your choices are going to be made for you though, because of where you live, which I for one am glad doesn't affect me very often.

David Kumm
12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
While this is a true statement and one that I tend to agree with to a point the big difference is that now worldwide economies operate at a different level then they did a 100 years ago and the Chinese have had a long time to learn from past mistakes. Also I think the skill tools are a lesser brand not because they are made in China but because they are made to certain sector of the market that probably values price over quality a little more then the festool guy. Unfortunately it sounds like your choices are going to be made for you though, because of where you live, which I for one am glad doesn't affect me very often.

Keith, your point is valid, although I'm still waiting to someone who learns from others mistakes. European debt and US spending come to mind. More to the point, if we as consumers demand better quality and prove that we are willing to pay for it, Asians will soon deliver it. Our demand for low prices is as big a problem. Dave

Bill White
12-18-2011, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't buy Skil brand period. The new stuff is not up to the standards set by the old tools.
Bill

Myk Rian
12-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't buy Skil brand period. The new stuff is not up to the standards set by the old tools.
Bill
I would rather buy HF tools over Skil.

Amin Djellaoui
02-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I got in touch with metabo people here in my place, they offer a 12 month warranty, they have decent tools. I bought their STEB 135 plus 720 watts jig saw. It's a monster, I use it just like I would have used a circular saw, no worries!

I have big problems finding a decent table saw, instead. I've found little toys made in China and big monsters made in Italy, that's it! Metabo table saws aren't made for serious woodworking.

Russ Ambrose
02-27-2012, 1:08 PM
i buy american made tools and products when i can. i don't believe in buying american just because it's made in america, but if the quality is comparable and the price reasonable (or reasonably close) i will go out of my way to buy american.

Larry Edgerton
02-27-2012, 6:07 PM
I don't buy anything made in China......

Larry

Mike Archambeau
02-28-2012, 7:36 PM
I don't buy anything made in China......

Larry

I am with you on this one! I have been paying more attention to the labels and I have put a lot of products right back on the shelf after learning the country of origin.