PDA

View Full Version : Precision table saw gloat

Rick Potter
12-16-2011, 2:55 AM
This precision model makers table saw is very rare, and has the power take off attachment for buffing or horizontal boring, when the chuck is added. I was very fortunate to find it, and it is a pleasure to use, except for cutting sheets of plywood, where it is a bit dicey.

I got it for next to nothing, from a seller unaware of it's value. Could this be the tool that gets me the coveted 'you suck'??

Rick Potter

Mike Archambeau
12-16-2011, 6:20 AM
WOW! Everybody is going to want one of those.......especially with the flesh sensing brake............

Van Huskey
12-16-2011, 7:31 AM
YOU SUCK! There is so much suckage going on I dunno what to say. I think that is the model that has the flesh sensing accelerator feature, it wasn't recieved well and they removed it for the following model year. On a better note this is the year they introduced the beefed up mounting bracket, previously you used a piece of Juicy Fruit to secure the base to the workbench. All in all an excellent find, depending on the price you were paid to take it.

Matt Day
12-16-2011, 8:21 AM
Is it April already?

Brian Tymchak
12-16-2011, 8:26 AM
Man, that looks like something out of a B-grade horror flick.. :eek::eek:

I'll take your word on its value. Here's a "YOU SUCK" !! for you..

Cary Falk
12-16-2011, 9:28 AM
I think I cut myself just looking at it.:D

Jeff Duncan
12-16-2011, 10:20 AM
What....no Beisemeyer fence with it???

Peter Quinn
12-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Is that one of those board chuckers that were popular a years back? Which end of that do you stand on? I'm pretty sure I have an old pedestal fan from the same maker. scary stuff. You suck, that's one of the
Best holloween gags I've ever seen.

Van Huskey
12-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I think I cut myself just looking at it.:D

You are supposed to wear your kevlar safety glasses when viewing it, even pictures.

Rick Potter
12-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Actually,

I've had it so long, I don't remember where I got it. Gives me chills just thinking that someone probably tried to use it. Yes, that is the blade that came with it.

Seriously, does anyone know who and when this was manufactured, and more important....Why on earth would a company produce something like this?? Hmmm, it is the old Powermatic green.

Maybe I should try to put it on the OWWM site to see if anyone knows.

Rick Potter

Van Huskey
12-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Rick, if you find out more of the story, let us know!

Lornie McCullough
12-16-2011, 2:05 PM
It looks like an early model hand held.....

I haven't seen one of those in years!!

Ben Hatcher
12-16-2011, 4:07 PM
looks about as safe as my dad's ShopSmith.:rolleyes:

George Gyulatyan
12-16-2011, 5:59 PM
What....no Beisemeyer fence with it???
What fence? Didn't you know? You're supposed to freehand with it. Don't worry about kickback. In case of workpiece binding, the saw, along the table flies AWAY from you. Best safety feature I've ever seen!

George Gyulatyan
12-16-2011, 6:02 PM
What's even more scary is judging from the wear on the blade, it looks like it has actually gotten some use!

Mike Archambeau
12-16-2011, 6:15 PM
This precision model makers table saw is very rare, and has the power take off attachment for buffing or horizontal boring, when the chuck is added. I was very fortunate to find it, and it is a pleasure to use, except for cutting sheets of plywood, where it is a bit dicey.

I got it for next to nothing, from a seller unaware of it's value. Could this be the tool that gets me the coveted 'you suck'??

Rick Potter

Looks like it was made to be driven off a tractor power-take-off. Lets hook it up to my tractor and go cut some wood! We can hold it down with some screws and if they don't hold, we will have a flail!

Mike Archambeau
12-16-2011, 6:47 PM
Actually,

I've had it so long, I don't remember where I got it. Gives me chills just thinking that someone probably tried to use it. Yes, that is the blade that came with it.

Seriously, does anyone know who and when this was manufactured, and more important....Why on earth would a company produce something like this?? Hmmm, it is the old Powermatic green.

Maybe I should try to put it on the OWWM site to see if anyone knows.

Rick Potter

1.) It was made as a gag retriement gift for an old wood worker

OR

2.) It was made for use in a steam powered mill in the back woods

OR

3.) It was made as a training tool for high school wood shop

yikes!

Neil Brooks
12-16-2011, 7:06 PM
Oddjob, from the James Bond movie, "Goldfinger" called.

He wants it back ;)

Neil Brooks
12-16-2011, 7:07 PM
ByTheWay: that makes me think I'm over-thinking dust collection just a little bit :)

Peter Aeschliman
12-16-2011, 7:42 PM
Looks like it was made to be driven off a tractor power-take-off. Lets hook it up to my tractor and go cut some wood! We can hold it down with some screws and if they don't hold, we will have a flail!

Ha- this reminds me of a story my dad likes to tell. Many years go my grandfather and some of his fellow farmers were building a barn, and using some kind of table saw-like setup to cut trees into beams. The blade was apparently huge in diameter.. like 3-4 ft.

Somehow, the blade came off while in use. Apparently it stayed upright, ran about 40-50ft across the ground, hit the barn, walked up the wall of the barn, and launched like 100+ feet in the air. The guys were standing there staring at the blade while it was airborne, somewhat mesmerized for a few seconds... until they realized that what goes up must come down!

Apparently nobody was hurt. Chances are this story has become embellished over the years, but it's a fun one nonetheless.

Stephen Cherry
12-16-2011, 8:19 PM
juicy!!!!

:)

Trevor Walsh
12-16-2011, 9:50 PM
I don't think this was ever intended (shocking right) as a saw. the mandrel looks exactly like many grinder/buffers that would have been run by overhead line shafting. I'd think of it as the 1890 equivalent to bolting a circular saw to a piece of plywood, flipping it upside down and calling it a tablesaw.

Ben Martin
12-16-2011, 10:17 PM
That is either a buffer/grinder arbor or a lineshaft hangar...

I want one! Always needed a few less fingers...

Greg Peterson
12-16-2011, 11:08 PM
That thing would be an awesome weather vane.

Rick Potter
12-17-2011, 2:28 AM
I always planned to pretty it up and display it in my 'office', if I ever get it finished. Maybe I should put a sewing machine motor on it and use it as a pencil sharpener.

That is a motor pully visible under the table, and the thing sticking out the side is for a buffer pad.

Rick Potter

Ken Shoemaker
12-17-2011, 7:48 AM
I almost soiled myself just looking at it,,,,,,,,,,,,

Troy Turner
12-17-2011, 8:57 AM
So have you been able to find a manual for it :)

Mike Cruz
12-17-2011, 2:53 PM
My guess would be that there was some sort of cabinet around this contraption...that it wasnt meant to be used as a bolt to the table tabletop saw. Even then, it doesn't look sturdy enough to actually use... so gag gift may be the winner.

Rick, thanks for taking it off the market so some idiot doesn't ACTUALLY hook it up and use it. You are a good man.