PDA

View Full Version : Another maple bowl & cedar bird feeder

Tom Hardy
12-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Last weeks turnings Maple fruit bowl 3 3/4" x 12" finished in WOP, and a humming bird feeder made from Cedar with a little figure to it, also finished with WOP. The feeders make for fun little projects & gifts.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2011, 7:43 AM
Nice work on both Tom! Good sized bowl and you did well on a normally very difficult form - steep walls! The Cedar is beautiful! Interesting project... not sure I've seen a turned hummingbird feeder before!

Doug Herzberg
12-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Tom, my wife would love about a dozen of those hummingbird feeders. Something for me to try when my lathe gets here. Did you just fit the form around a commercially available feeder or is someone making a kit for this? Like the bowl, too.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Bowl looks good and the form is difficult but you did well. The feeder is a cool project.

Tom Hardy
12-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Tom, my wife would love about a dozen of those hummingbird feeders. Something for me to try when my lathe gets here. Did you just fit the form around a commercially available feeder or is someone making a kit for this? Like the bowl, too.
Doug, here's a pic. of the parts needed, the test tubes are 25mm x 150mm buy them online, I paid $30.00 shipped to me from Ebay for case of 125, & the stoppers with tubes got from amazon, a dozen for $13.65. then just drill a 1" hole x 6" deep and when done turning & finishing glue in tube with silicone on end of tube only, to allow for expansion to prevent tube from cracking.

Doug Herzberg
12-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks. I'm on it. Hope you don't mind me copying your idea. I may have to increase the capacity - our hummingbirds seem to drink about a pint a day from each feeder. I'm thinking of a pagoda theme for the form to fit in our Japanese garden.

Greg Just
12-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I may made a number of the hummingbird feeders and they do sell rather well. I did like Tom and bought the pieces in bulk which was lot less expensive than other suppliers of the complete kit. Another option that I tried with limited success was to recycle a plastic water bottle. The opening on the water bottle is just the right size for the rubber plug. It holds a lot more food than the test tube, plus I found a reuse for one of those bottles. The bowl looks good too!

Donny Lawson
12-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice job on the bowl. Those feeders do look inviting to try. Maybe around springtime.

Tom Hardy
12-17-2011, 1:06 PM
Thanks. I'm on it. Hope you don't mind me copying your idea. I may have to increase the capacity - our hummingbirds seem to drink about a pint a day from each feeder. I'm thinking of a pagoda theme for the form to fit in our Japanese garden.

Don't mind at all Doug. They are fun cheap projects. that sell well & make great gifts. That's what it's all about, to share info & ideas.

Roger Chandler
12-17-2011, 2:02 PM

Doug............a suggestion........how about posting a pic or two of your Japanese garden............when you get the humming bird feeders installed.........that way we could see your setup and keep in form with the "turners" forum..........I think it would make a great thread!