PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Bowl

Thomas Heck
12-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Here is a recent bowl. I used a recess with my sn2 chuck and it busted out. I don't think I had enough edge on the outside of the recess. Then, I cut a tenon and it seemed to work pretty good. I like the looks of the recess better, but not having much luck yet. I guess experience will help alot.

Marty Eargle
12-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Chucking with a recess can be tricky until you figure exactly how deep you need to cut the recess. Practice makes perfect.

Good looking piece of cedar, too! I bet your shop smelled great.

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2011, 11:49 PM
I have found on cedar recesses don't work well at least with me. Good looking bowl. I do like turning cedar cause it does make the shop smell so good.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Thomas... on your next bowl, create a tenon but when you are finished turning, reverse the bowl and then turn the tenon/foot away. You can turn a slight concave area and it looks much nicer than a tenon or a recess.

Good looking bowl and wood! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Michelle Rich
12-16-2011, 7:42 AM
cedar is too soft, unless your inset area is deep..with any catch or hard digging out, the wood will break off down the grain lines.

Michael Menzli
12-16-2011, 7:59 AM
IM so glad I read this thread...just fell a nice cedar yesterday with some excellent heartwood. I was curious how to mount as it does seem extremely soft when fresh. Looking forward to the smell. :)