PDA

View Full Version : The cave finally cooled . . .

David Myers
12-15-2011, 9:13 PM
This past summer was brutal, and my west facing garage shop got way too hot. Like routinely 120 degrees F kind of hot. So I had to let things be for a while. Of course all things, including hot summers, pass, and this fall I was able to finish one project and get going on another. The first was a pulpit for our church. We meet in a multi-purpose space (an old theater) so it had to be mobile. I adapted a open design I found on the web the result is pictured below. The base is laminated from plywood and painted; the remainder is qswo. The uprights are connected to the base with wedged thru-tenons. I chose liquid hide glue based on recs from many here. All edges are chamfered; curved ones with tailed router, straight ones with veritas LA block with chamfer guide. Most of the components planed well enough with my standard planes; the more heavily 'flaked' top wasn't so cooperative but between low angle jack and smoother and scraping I was able to keep sanding to a minimum. Maybe two sheets of 320 grit sandpaper for the whole thing and some of that was used in the finishing process.

The second project is a telecaster style solid body electric guitar. My first foray into instrument-making (such as it is; the necks were ordered from Warmoth). A musician friend wanted to build one so I said lets make one for you and one for me (I'm a lefty). I include it here to sing the praises of my 2 rasps. They were used to fair all the curves after bandsawing the rough shape based on a template. I was leery of using a tailed router given all of the end grain curves. I'll probably post more on this project in the musical instrument section as it progresses.

Mark Dorman
12-15-2011, 9:24 PM
Might be on my end but I can't see the pics.

Jeff Ranck
12-15-2011, 9:38 PM
Pictures don't come up.

Ryan Baker
12-15-2011, 9:39 PM
I can't see them either.

David Myers
12-18-2011, 7:56 PM
Ok, I think I got the pictures fixed. Let me know if you still can't see them.

Mark Dorman
12-18-2011, 8:58 PM
Looking good now David.