PDA

View Full Version : Air Sanding vs Electric Sanding

Dan Kralemann
12-15-2011, 8:19 PM
Hello,

I recently posted the "Need Air" thread. I wish to thank those who gave me feedback on my question. Reading the replies expanded my view as to what I could use a compressor for. One of the possible uses was the ability to use a sander. I have been researching drills,sanding discs, back-up pads, and inner-face pads, so this seems like a good time to ask the following question:

"What are the pros and cons of using an air sander over an electric drill/sander."

Thank you,
Dan

Harry Robinette
12-15-2011, 8:49 PM
I would say NOISE with the compressor, and the air tool, Blowing dust everywhere, Hose is a hassle always tripping over them.
I use air tools but not for sanding unless I have a problem spot.Which is not often. Electric is more expensive from what I here but I think air is cause of the compressor uses more power.
So I like my angle drill and 3" and 2" disc.
Just my $.02

mike ash
12-15-2011, 8:49 PM
Dan - I just replied to Bernie's earlier thread on "Air Sander" with the following about my experience with air vs. electric sanders. I think it applies here as well.

Bernie - I had been using a Grex air random 2" orbital sander coupled with a 30 gal 8 GPM air compressor for a couple of years. It does the job, but frankly I wasn't excited with the time it took, the compressor running way more than I liked and tne noise. I had been reading what some of the turners on this site were saying about Vince's sanding system. I called Vince and had a great lesson, that ended with me ordering a side angle drill, all the 3" mandrells, pads and grits of 3" discs that I will need for awhile. I've done 4 bowls with this new system, and I couldn't be happier. I'm using an assortment of grits 90, 100, 130, 150, 180, 220, 280, 320, 400 & 600. This seems like a lot, but believe me, it ends up saving me a LOT of time over what I had been using. I only use the Grex for 320 and finer and only for areas that I can't reach with the side angle drill.

I wish I had learned about this to begin with!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Dan - I use the cheapest 3/8" variable speed electric drill I could find and a mandrel and sanding supplies from Vince (http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/). I have been using that same el-cheapo drill for over 4 years now and I believe I bought it for $16! When I am done using it, it doesn't take any room at all to store. I have not tried air sanding but do have a compressor. I am surprised at how much air the air-tools actually require to run and that translates to your compressor running frequently to keep up with demand. Compressors drink electricity!! Just something to think about...