PDA

View Full Version : edging for edge lit signs?

Troy Shaffer
12-15-2011, 6:48 PM
I've been making edge lit signs for about 6mos. Using U channel laminators edging for the base. Problem is after putting leds in the bottom there's not a lot of depth left to hold the acrylic. On bigger signs I have to glue em to the edging. I see lumenedge sells edging that is deeper, anyone know what its called or any sugestions what may work better than what I've been using. Thanks Troy

Larry Bratton
12-15-2011, 7:09 PM
I just bought some Lumenedge 12" strips for 1/4 acrylic. I don't have it yet, but I understood that the strips are made so that the acrylic fits snugly. I asked that question specifically and that's what they told me. I bought powered strips but I'm sure they only have the one type. If you call them, talk to Raymond.

Joe Pelonio
12-15-2011, 8:35 PM
There are a lot of profiles that work, get a catalog from Outwater if you can't find a local supplier such as metal supermarket.

Joe Hillmann
12-16-2011, 9:40 AM
What are you using for LEDs?

Neal Schlee
12-16-2011, 1:00 PM
I've been making edge lit signs for about 6mos. Using U channel laminators edging for the base. Problem is after putting leds in the bottom there's not a lot of depth left to hold the acrylic. On bigger signs I have to glue em to the edging. I see lumenedge sells edging that is deeper, anyone know what its called or any sugestions what may work better than what I've been using. Thanks Troy

Here's 2 signs we did recently for our shop using .25" plexi and Lumenedge Strips. The larger one has 14" LED strips on both sides. The Lumenedge parts work great. You can also order individual parts & pcs. from them and build your own. We buy mostly white LED's, you can dye the edge where the light strip is placed with colored Sharpies if desired. The .25" Lumenedge Strips friction fit to .25" plexi, which tends to run approx. .200" or so.

Neal
Lasertech Alaska

Troy Shaffer
12-16-2011, 1:21 PM
There 3825 120 leds per meter. I also have 5050 120 led per meter. I bought about 200 meters. Thanks Troy

Troy Shaffer
12-16-2011, 1:27 PM
Ill have to try the shapie trick I get lots of requests for orange pink and purple witch are more expensive or not availible. Thanks

Neal Schlee
12-17-2011, 1:13 PM
Ill have to try the shapie trick I get lots of requests for orange pink and purple witch are more expensive or not availible. Thanks

It work fairly well, the one disadvantage or not, is the plexi stays clear when not lit.

Neal