PDA

View Full Version : Radial arm 220 or stay with 110?

shane lyall
12-15-2011, 6:38 PM
While running the wire for my new powermatic aircraft carrier of a jointer I got to thinking....Yeah I know, thats frightning! My other stationary stuff is 220 why not go ahead and change the radial arm over as well? I'm an electrician by trade so the labor is a moot point and I already have the wire and breakers. My question is will it make the saw run any better is the no noticable differance? It's an older recall Craftsman with the new table and guard. I can't remember right off what the hp is but Im thinking it 2 1/2. I ran it on 110 when I checked it out before bringing it home. My tablesaw seems a little stouter at 220 so maybe the RA will as well?Anyone used one at both voltages and seen any differance?

Neil Brooks
12-15-2011, 6:49 PM
My guess/bet/understanding: little to no difference, unless you're running a long power cord, and trying to minimize line loss.

I stand ready to be corrected, though :)

Van Huskey
12-15-2011, 6:54 PM
You will find some that insist spin up is faster on 220v but I have never seen it. There is no difference: twice the voltage, half the current same amount of energy to produce work.

All this assume the motor only has one set of windings, there are motors with seperate windings for dual volatge use but those are essentially non-existant in woodworking.

Van Huskey
12-15-2011, 6:57 PM
My guess/bet/understanding: little to no difference, unless you're running a long power cord, and trying to minimize line loss.

I stand ready to be corrected, though :)

I didn't mention line loss. As long as proper adequate 120v is getting to the motor 240V won't make a difference.

John McClanahan
12-15-2011, 7:00 PM
I would make sure that the plug and outlet are in good condition, and plug in snuggly, and leave it 110V. A poor connection at the plug can rob power at the blade.

Mike Henderson
12-15-2011, 7:03 PM
Just a small comment on Van's posting. A dual voltage electric (induction) motor does have dual windings. When you run the motor at 120V, the windings are placed in parallel. When you run the motor at 240V, you place the windings in series. 120V is always dropped across each winding.

If your 120V supply line is not marginal, you will not see any performance difference between operation at 120V and 240V. The motor will use the same power, will generate the same heat and produce the same HP.

If your supply line is marginal, switching to 240V will give you an improvement, primarily because you'll draw half the amps at 240V than at 120V so you'll have less voltage drop in your supply line.

Mike

Van Huskey
12-15-2011, 8:15 PM
Just a small comment on Van's posting. A dual voltage electric (induction) motor does have dual windings. When you run the motor at 120V, the windings are placed in parallel. When you run the motor at 240V, you place the windings in series. 120V is always dropped across each winding.

Mike

That is absolutely correct and I should have been more clear. There are dual voltage motors that have completly different sets of windings (wound to produce different power outputs) with those motors the power output can be significantly different but not in the case of the current example where the motor just has a parallel set of the same windings to use the other 120v leg.

shane lyall
12-15-2011, 10:37 PM
It runs off the same set in this saw. When I switched over the tblsaw I was in my old shop. I wired the new shop myself so I know whats here. All my runs are 12/2 on the 110 and none over 30 feet or so. Line loss should be nill. Thanks guys. Just wanted everyones opinion.

Don Jarvie
12-16-2011, 2:03 PM
A few reasons I can think of to run on 220 is its a large hp motor. 2hp and up draw a lot more at 110. Second would be limit total amp in the shop. Say 50 amps is max and you have AC or heat and dust collector on at the same time the lower draw of 220 would be more favorable. Third would be you can use smaller gage wire at 220.

Howard Acheson
12-16-2011, 4:21 PM
>>>> My question is will it make the saw run any better is the no noticable differance?

It will come up to speed somewhat quicker but it will produce no additional power or faster cutting. The watts are exactly the same with either voltage. Dual voltage motors all run on 120 volts internally.