PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Sanding Hood

Baxter Smith
12-15-2011, 6:38 PM
In another thread, I mentioned I had just finished a sanding hood this morning. A picture was requested so here are a couple.
Reed Gray provided the pictures and video a short while ago that this was copied from. Thanks Reed!
I tried it out for a few minutes before lunch with a 16” sycamore bowl. It was more fun to make than it will be to use. :rolleyes:
The barrel was cut to 2/3 of its length and a hole cut into the headstock end. Locator cleats were screwed to the bottom and a slot was cut into the back to attach a 4x12 to 6 end register boot.
A piece of thin plexiglass like material was used to cover the open end.

Now I will have to think of another excuse to avoid sanding all my larger turned thin and cored bowls. I will still probably use my little cardboard box for the small ones.:)
Thanks again Reed. Hope these pics help someone else as well.

Bill Bukovec
12-15-2011, 7:33 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures.

I started thinking about building a hood a few weeks ago.

Thia will give me a good head start.

Can you tell me about your sander and sanding pad (in the first picture)?

I'm getting tired of hand sanding my bowls.

Thanks,

Bill

Baxter Smith
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Its a neiko 3/8 angle drill. Have had it year. A little less than $40 on Amazon. The sanding pad is a 3 inch from vinceswoodenwonders.com

mike ash
12-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for posting Baxter. Just today I picked up the barrel and will be mounting it to my 3520B. I'm curious as how you sealed off the seam between the plexiglass and the barrle. It's difficult to see in the photos, but it appears you used some packing tape, as opposed to using a scribed plywood ring that Reed used. This is my project for tomorrow!

Thanks, Mike

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Baxter.... it looks good! I understand that sanding is involved, so it is never any fun, but how well does your system work and what size DC are you using?

Michelle Rich
12-16-2011, 7:40 AM
thanks for posting this, Baxter..I now know, fer sure, I will never make one. :-) I'd prefer to suck dust as I have for 30 yrs.

Ken Whitney
12-16-2011, 9:21 AM
Baxter,

Nice job on this. Reed's design is brilliant. I'll be looking for a barrel.

It is also nice to see the results of turning wet wood ... on the lathe, on the wall, on the tool rack...

Joseph M Lary
12-16-2011, 9:21 AM
Baxter , still working on getty the items I need to do mine . Hope mine turns out as good as yours.

Larry Pickering
12-16-2011, 9:34 AM
Baxter, check this out for small turnings

[/URL][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CI5lAYUwKg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CI5lAYUwKg)

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Looks really good Baxter. Ditto what Steve asked.

Reed Gray
12-16-2011, 12:17 PM
You will get some dust pile up in the bottom after a long day sanding. I scoop some up, especially if I am sanding walnut, and keep it for filling cracks. The reason I have the vent higher is because it always seemed to suck up discs, oil pads, rags, even got a light bulb once. Now, I have to make one for when I turn rolling pins. Seems I have been selling a lot of them this Christmas. I am thinking the bendable corrugated plastic sign board, and have it mounted up so I can slide the banjo. I am using a cardboard box for now.

Good work Baxter.

I am still trying to figure out how to make an arm rest/articulated arm to put the sander on so I can sit in my drafting chair and sand without having to stick my arms way out.

robo hippy

Baxter Smith
12-16-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm curious as how you sealed off the seam between the plexiglass and the barrle. It's difficult to see in the photos, but it appears you used some packing tape, as opposed to using a scribed plywood ring that Reed used. This is my project for tomorrow!Thanks, MikeMike, I never went back again and tried to find Reeds pictures. I had forgotten about the ring you are referring too. I cut the end material to fit into the small groove that runs around the barrel. Its only attached on the front support. Its not a perfect fit all the way around, but the air leakage is negligible compared to the opening in the front.
Baxter.... it looks good! I understand that sanding is involved, so it is never any fun, but how well does your system work and what size DC are you using?Steve, its the first drop off a 5 hp clearvue cyclone. It works a whole lot better than just the end of a hose and probably one of those big gulp dust hoods that just sits behind your turning. I still don't know how wise it would be to use all day without some type of breathing protection. When I was sanding the backside of the bowl yesterday, it didn't work nearly as well as on the inside. You are a long way from the intake with the bowl in between. The opening into the room is quite large at that point as well.215991This morning, I took the cutout from the side and tried to reduce the size of that opening. I needed the pylwood in the middle to help seal the end. I could have just used one half, but I wanted to retain the slightly more than half or slightly less than half option.215992215993It just hangs from a couple of machine screws and holes I put into the barrel.215994Reducing the size of the opening by half helped.215995I will also use it on the back end when I am doing the inside. Without a remote switch, that wouldnt work so well.:)
thanks for posting this, Baxter..I now know, fer sure, I will never make one. :-) I'd prefer to suck dust as I have for 30 yrs.The plastic is light and easy to work with. After sucking dust for 30 years Michele, anything I can do to help get another 30, seems like a good idea.;):)
Baxter, check this out for small turningshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CI5lAYUwKgThanks Larry. Thats a real dustless system!
I lost SMC while I was working on this post and for some reason the pictures don't show until you click on them. Hopefully a moderator can fix them.

Rob Cunningham
12-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Looks like a good setup Baxter.
Is that 6" pipe coming into the fitting?
Do you get any static build-up from the plastic?

Baxter Smith
12-16-2011, 1:00 PM
.... Now, I have to make one for when I turn rolling pins. Seems I have been selling a lot of them this Christmas. I am thinking the bendable corrugated plastic sign board, and have it mounted up so I can slide the banjo. I am using a cardboard box for now.

Reed, when I was out looking for a barrel, a car wash had a 35 gallon barrell with a smaller diameter. I held off since I wanted something bigger, but may go back and get one for when I want to use the tailstock.

Baxter Smith
12-16-2011, 1:03 PM
Looks like a good setup Baxter.
Is that 6" pipe coming into the fitting?
Do you get any static build-up from the plastic?
Rob, its 6"pvc thin wall sewer and drain. I haven't had any problem with static.

Reed Gray
12-17-2011, 1:50 AM
Oh, yea, for lighting, I use a Moffat lamp on the headstock, and one of these on the plexiglass end:

http://www.bluemaxlighting.com/bluemax_floor_lamps_28_ctg.htm (http://www.bluemaxlighting.com/bluemax_floor_lamps_28_ctg.htm)

Makes a big difference in what I can see scratch wise. There is some dust that collects on the plexiglass, and some time I will get around to wiping it with a dryer sheet.

For getting rid of the dust pile in the hood, I just push it up with a rag, and let the rag shake off in the hose.

robo hippy

Michelle Rich
12-17-2011, 5:58 AM
I hear ya Baxter, but it looks so industrial! and restrictive! I'm too old to change my ways and you should protect yourself. It just seems to this old person that folks find this lovely addiction so dangerous they wear a suit that could be used at a toxic spill, 2,000.00 worth of dust exctraction, and logger chaps & ear muffs to go turn a a bowl!! Ah the old days, when we we delusional!