PDA

View Full Version : The new lathe is broke......in

Ken Hill
12-15-2011, 6:18 PM
Fired off a last minute Christmas gift to a feller who gives me wood, works on my vehicles and lets me duck hunt his land. Claro Walnut, 10 x 2

Made it thick and heavy to match his dining room table that he had built from walnut off his farm many years ago. He just ordered a Cherry one for his mothers table so this should come as a big surprise to him.

1 heavy wipe of oil, more coming then not sure...his table is oiled so I want to allow the item to match what he has

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/i-bWDpDhR/0/O/DSC1861.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/i-cmT398f/0/L/DSC1872-L.jpg

Bill Wyko
12-15-2011, 6:23 PM
Very well done. He should be quite excited to recieve such a nice gift. So what kind of lathe is your new lathe?

Roger Chandler
12-15-2011, 6:23 PM
That is some pretty claro walnut, Ken.............unusual form for a bowl/platter? You need to show some pics with you and the lathe with some curlees...........you know about this place ..........no pics...........didn't happen, although I do believe you ......we all just want to celebrate with you and pics help us to do so! ;):)

Ken Hill
12-15-2011, 6:26 PM
He wanted his momms to mainly hold rolls at supper time, and I was in the middle of a heated conversation between him and his wife about how she (mother) was finally teaching his wife how to make her dinner rolls (from scratch). So now its on the wife to make teh rolls at his place, so now he will have one that will hold a dozen fresh baked homemade dinner rolls

Bill, its a Jet 1642 EVS

No shop pics, I have it destroyed because I did not want to move anything until i used the new lathe so I could see where I wanted it. Plan is tomorrow to do nothing but a few articles, some powdercoating and organize my new mess LOL!

Baxter Smith
12-15-2011, 6:27 PM
It is? What lathe? Did I miss something?

David E Keller
12-15-2011, 8:16 PM
Man, that's a nice looking bowl! I'd leave it with the oil finish... I don't think it could get any prettier than that!

John Keeton
12-15-2011, 8:25 PM
Love Claro walnut!!!! And, that is a beautiful chunk of it. Nice work, Ken.

Last I heard was something about a truck coming in the drive.........not sure what happened after that, but now Ken is talking about some new lathe?!?!?:confused: I think it is an internet hoax!!

Bob Bergstrom
12-15-2011, 8:33 PM
That is one gorgeous piece of wood. For one coat of oil it sure enhanced the piece.

Hayes Rutherford
12-15-2011, 8:35 PM
Wow! Wouldn't a truck load of that be nice. Another piece well done.

Nate Davey
12-15-2011, 8:40 PM
That is a beautiful piece of wood and I love the form you chose. Not a huge fan of the base, but man you did this piece of wood justice.

Ken Hill
12-15-2011, 9:11 PM
Thanks. I had this piece for about a year and if my bandsaw hadnt broke, it would be in game call size blanks. When the feller ordered the cherry and I saw the fun his family was having over the rolls and the pride in the tables, I knew what I wanted to do with that chunk. Thats the only piece of wood ive ever bought that ended up in a bowl haha. The tables are really nice but very rustic, so a wide base/bottom is needed I felt to stablize it when resting on the table top. The table top is made from 1 x 4 walnut that has lifted here and there over the years. You cant really see it but i felt it when I ran my hand across it.

Greg Bender
12-15-2011, 9:18 PM
Ken,
when I'm commenting on a platter/bowl made from a piece of Walnut that fine there is really no comment necessary.You did it much justice and the coat of oil MIGHT lead me to a second but nothing else.If it's not broken don't fix it. That is a beautiful chunk of Claro.Where do you find Claro on the East Coast? I would love to see an upright side view picture of it if you get a chance.
Greg

Chris Studley
12-15-2011, 9:20 PM
Very nice... wood, shape and finish all! I really like the base/bottom how it turns in, like it was a soft material and pushed in. Very cool.

Ken Hill
12-15-2011, 9:20 PM
It came from the west coast....cant remember but I found a link to a seller and took a chance. I cant recall where or who....and this was not listed as a top line piece. I will do some digging...maybe I can find where I bought it

Ken Hill
12-15-2011, 9:29 PM
Love Claro walnut!!!! And, that is a beautiful chunk of it. Nice work, Ken.

Last I heard was something about a truck coming in the drive.........not sure what happened after that, but now Ken is talking about some new lathe?!?!?:confused: I think it is an internet hoax!!

haha, well I used my tractor and unloaded it, then it sat there.....then I unboxed it....then I figured out how to assemble that heavy sucker by myself....but other then turn it on I couldnt do much due to not having the correct insert for my chuck. It sat some more....

Then I decided to turn that claro between centers to be ready for the insert, which arrived 20 minutes after I finished what I could do on the piece.

As the family all returned from work/school, each one walked in the shop, said "Oh sweet it came assembled" and went on their way. I didnt tell them otherwise, but the boys will be shoveling woodchips when they get home tomorrow evening hahaha!

Fred Belknap
12-15-2011, 9:44 PM
well I used my tractor and unloaded it, then it sat there.....then I unboxed it....then I figured out how to assemble that heavy sucker by myself

When I got my Griz 0698 I assembled it by myself. I got the bright idea to turn the ways upside down and mount the legs. Worked great till I layed it down and tried to stand it up. I was more than I could lift. I used blocks and a jack till I got it part way up then did one of those weight lifters "jerk and lung" and got it up.:p

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2011, 9:59 PM
Ken that is one pretty piece. Love that walnut and finish. Just makes it look soft.

David Dobbs
12-15-2011, 10:39 PM
nice really like the base

Jim Burr
12-15-2011, 10:41 PM
NIce bowl Ken, but how'd the lathe work!?

Scott Hackler
12-15-2011, 10:51 PM
That bowl is excellent. Don't know about the lathe! :)

Ken Hill
12-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Works well, no real issues relating to the actual preformance.

Not a fan of the spindle lock but everything else seems ok so far. I was all thumbs, it is amazing how used you get to placing a hand here or leaning this way or that...big change for sure! Runs really smooth and quiet and for not having a ballast box it is stable. I had a big chunck of cherry on there a bit ago and 1/3 of it broke off (slow speed) and it didnt phase it. I tried saving the blank and even though it was really off balance the lathe handled it well. Its nice having more room. I have the headstock at about the mid way maybe a tad over. I cant slide the headstock out to sand with the vacumm chuck at the end of the bed until I get a longer threaded rod for this lathe, kind of looking forward to that. The variable speed worked well although I was reaching for the knob on the Delta for the first few hours, same with the on off switch. The tool rest is huge compared to what the delta has, deffinatley need a smaller one and a curved on here soon.

I am really liking it. More time is needed to get into a rythm with it but that will come!

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Very pretty bowl! Your friend is going to love it!! Sure has some rich color!

Russell Eaton
12-16-2011, 6:42 AM
Ken we still want pictures. Congrats again on one sweet lathe. Look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Ken Hill
12-16-2011, 7:23 AM

You guys are rough haha. My two welding tables are going to be moved and the new lathe will be positioned where it is but a bit closer to the middle of the main shop. Its way to windy to try and haul chips today so maybe this evening we can clean up and get organized.....this is a not working haha

Tony De Masi
12-16-2011, 7:30 AM
Beautiful work on the bowl Ken and of course the wood speaks for itself. I'm sure you will enjoy your lathe more and more with each use. Congrats to you.

Ken Hill
12-16-2011, 7:33 AM
Thanks Tony, already enjoying it alot! I need to clean the chicken coop this weekend so I need chips...just another excuse to turn LMAO!

Michelle Rich
12-16-2011, 7:34 AM
What a lovely gift..& the wood is superb. that Jet sure can turn bowls!! :-)

Paul Heely
12-16-2011, 7:49 AM
Nice looking bowl. I'm sure the new owner will love it. Nice to see the lathe is getting broken in.

Steve Busey
12-16-2011, 8:10 AM
Not a fan of the spindle lock but everything else seems ok so far. Russell Eaton showed me a neat trick for the spindle lock - hey Russell, we need pics of your solution!

John Keeton
12-16-2011, 8:18 AM
Steve, this pic is straight from Steve Schlumpf, and is what I did on my 1642. Works great. Just make sure to locate the holes to clear the drop down belt lid.

Ken Hill
12-16-2011, 9:56 AM
Thanks a TON for that!!!

David Reed
12-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Beautiful thing you did with that Claro. I especially like the rim treatment. I am currently working on a bowl with similar lines. I was beginning to think you bribed a stealth creeker to make this for you since there was no evidence of this mythical new lathe.
I love the 1642 and thanks John for the tip re the spindle lock.

John Keeton
12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
BTW, my source for Claro Walnut is Mike Smith at Century Tree Turnings (http://centurytreeturnings.com/about.html) - I don't want to admit how much I have purchased!!!:o

Greg Bolton22
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Beautiful Bowl Ken! You are going to love the 1642. It wont take long before all the controls on it are second nature. I recommend a 9" robust tool rest to supplement the stock jet rest.

I had never paid for wood before I went to the NC Woodturning Symposium in November but Mike Smith's son was quite a salesman and I ended up with a "few" pieces of claro walnut from him. This stuff is absolutely incredible! The really dangerous thing for me is that Mike's sawmill is only a couple of hours from my house... I'm afraid this is going to get expensive!

Greg

Rob Cunningham
12-16-2011, 12:54 PM
That's a beautiful bowl Ken. I like how you finished off the bottom.