PDA

View Full Version : 5 inch sanding pads

allen thunem
12-15-2011, 2:44 PM
So i have been researching some soft 5 inch sanding pads to sand the outside of my bowls. I would like some feed back on other turners experiences using this method.
I have watched glenn lucas's dvd, he uses a six inch pad with a right angle grinder motor. johannes michelson also uses a 5 inch pad to do his hats. what are the thoughts of others?

Dan Forman
12-15-2011, 3:08 PM
I've used a 5" Festool Rotex sander for the outside of bowls and like it a lot, wish I could figure out a way to use it on the inside too. A Rotex combines normal random orbit with straight rotation, will remove a lot of wood in a hurry in flatwork.

Dan

Baxter Smith
12-15-2011, 3:30 PM
I have a 6 inch random orbit Bosch. It has some soft pads I but I have never tried it on the lathe. Just finished a barrel dust hood this morning to use for some bigger bowls. Should give it a shot. The 3" pad isn't going too fast!

allen thunem
12-15-2011, 3:51 PM
show us yoru dust hood

Baxter Smith
12-15-2011, 6:40 PM
show us yoru dust hood
Allen, just posted the pictures here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?177731-Barrel-Sanding-Hood) .

robert baccus
12-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Power sanding with a 5-6" pad on the outside and 2-3" pads on an air grinder on the inside does 95% of my sanding. i'll do hand sanding if necessary and when working down sanding sealer/lacquer but seldom find it necessary otherwise.---------------old forester

Vince Welch
12-17-2011, 1:02 AM
Hi Allan,
What I ahve found is the diameter of the sanding pad is relative to the size of the piece one is turning. My rule of thumb and something that I understand is comfortable for most people, as I have spoke to many people concerning this topic is 10-11 inches and smaller = 2 inch set up 10-11 inch to 14-15 inch = 3 inch set up. a 5 inch set up tp me is 13-14 and larger depending on the shape of the piece. I beleive one wants to cover as much area as possible so if you can use a 5 inch set great. Sanding time is reduced and abrasive wear are reduced as well not to mention that you often have lower heat build up when using a larger disc. So in conclusion, if your projects are large enough that you can use a 5 inch set up by all means take on the savings. Vince

robert baccus
12-18-2011, 9:38 PM
Vince, you are the expert here and you certainly provide superior products and service. however i have been spinning and sanding bowls/vases for 25 years and these are my humble observations. i cheat---i use a 6" flexible pad previously available from sears but no longer obtainable anywhere(that i can find). it has a shaft mounted in rubber which makes it almost impossible to dig in and padded of course. i use it on bowls ect. from 4" to 32" with a cheap 3/8 electric drill turning one way and the piece the opposite. this is only on the exteriors and large bowl interiors. for most bowls i use 2-3" cheap airgrinders at high rpm's on the inside's. OBTW your's are the only hook and loop discs i have been able to keep on the little high rpm mother's.
one function of the large sanding pads is that they tend to knock off the high "bumps" that a slow rpm lathe/sander would tend to follow. also the high disc/wood meeting speed will hardly scratch even with 80 grit. i seldom sand past 220 if i'm using a film finish like lacquer--for oil or wax sure, go to a very fine grit or even wetsand with oil. back to the sanding--i'm trying to sand/finish 8 large box elder vases and bowls up to 32" dia. wish i could take gouge to green wood again.--------old forester

robert baccus
12-18-2011, 9:44 PM
PS...i cut down one of my precious 6" pads to acept your blue sanding discs-------works great---------old forester