PDA

View Full Version : Small cherry vessel with a small change on the rim for me.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-15-2011, 1:01 PM
Here's a smaller cherry vessel 9 1/2" tall X 5" dia. with a little different top on it for me. I added a bead on the rim this time just for something different. I don't think it works though. I don't really care for it .What are your thoughts ?

Like I recently told Baxter in a recent post sometimes it's good to try out different forms just for the fun of it even if they don't always work.
215893 215892

John Keeton
12-15-2011, 1:05 PM
Joe, I think it would look better tucked under the rim a bit. Seems a little prominent. BTW, how do you turn such a diminutive piece of that humongous equipment of yours!!!:D Must be quite an effort!

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-15-2011, 2:45 PM
Joe, I think it would look better tucked under the rim a bit. Seems a little prominent. BTW, how do you turn such a diminutive piece of that humongous equipment of yours!!!:D Must be quite an effort!

Thanks for your comments John. I actually turn a lot of small 3" to 10" vessels I just don't usually post them here. I like doing the Larger pieces but a lot of them are a year plus in the making so I do smaller pieces in between.

Baxter Smith
12-15-2011, 3:24 PM
Joe, my first impression of the bead was that it made it look like there was an insert that had been put into the vase that didn't quite fit. I think that was due to the color change at that point. If the color hadn't changed at exactly that point, my perception of it might be different.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-15-2011, 7:59 PM
Joe, my first impression of the bead was that it made it look like there was an insert that had been put into the vase that didn't quite fit. I think that was due to the color change at that point. If the color hadn't changed at exactly that point, my perception of it might be different.
Baxter I see what you mean. I did put a fine gold line between what would normally would have been the top rim and the bead to try to separate it from the rim.
I'm thinking that maybe if I had made the bead a little smaller in dia. than the rim it might have looked better.