PDA

View Full Version : Black Wood Finishing Question

James Combs
12-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Recently I completed a series(20) of birdhouses for my Sister. She wanted an old antique or oil finished look. I settled on WOP applied fairly heavy and set to soak for several minutes then wiped off the excess then allowed to dry. It worked extremely well except for one birdhouse that I had turned from what I assumed to be African Black Wood or Ebony. John K. it was a piece I got from you in our wood trade. In any case after turning I wiped it down with paint thinner then applied WOP like all the other BHs but when I check it the next day it was still tacky and several days later it was still tacky. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to treat this wood and make it look like an oil treatment but not be oily or tacky for future items? Also what do you recommend to "dry" this current one.

It is the BH in the center of this photo.

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2011, 11:16 AM
James I wipe mine down good with either mineral spirits or acetone. This seems to take of the problem for me. I think it is the oils in the wood that is causing the problem.

John Keeton
12-15-2011, 11:28 AM
JD, I would remove what you have on there with steel wool and MS, and then use satin spray lacquer.

Michelle Rich
12-15-2011, 11:44 AM
blackwood will shine nicely with high grit sandpaper & a buffing, but wax is good too.

Scott Hackler
12-15-2011, 11:53 AM
My blackwood process it sand with 400, then 600, then grey synthetic steel wool, then white synthetic wool then......... a paper towel and regular black shoe polish (while on the lathe, and finally if I want a higher gloss...I spray rattle can gloss lacquer.

John Keeton
12-15-2011, 1:06 PM
I think JD is looking for more of an "oil finish" look to go with the remainder of the piece, and that is why I suggested satin lacquer. However, I agree with Scott and Michelle on getting a more glossy finish. I usually sand to 2000 and use Ren wax - works fine. For a high gloss, a shot of lacquer works great.

robert baccus
12-16-2011, 7:44 AM
On really hard tropicals like blackwood(a rosewood) finishes can diminish the bueaty by hiding it. try sanding(wet sanding works fine) and buff with compound followed by carnuba. you can go to a gloss or satin quite easily.-----------old forester